5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2015 11:42 AM by cwinning

Java Patches

Rookie

Hi,

I am still relatively new to using Shavlik to push patches through to our domains, but I am running into an issue regarding Java.

Currently, in my domain there are users reliant on an older version of Java (7u76) to run an in-house Oracle based database program.  However, Shavlik recently started to push out Java 7u79 as part of the overnight scans of the domain machines.  Unfortunately 7u79 does not work with the program and it requires 7u76 until the software designer behind the program pushes through to support newer Java versions I need to keep these machines on 7u76.  Simply put is there a way I can force Shavlik to leave Java unscathed in the scans as to not push the version?  As I have it now I can either skip Java through the scan template or include it in the list and have it force through 7u79.  Now of course when I skip it in the scan template Shavlik removes all trace of Java off the machine instead of just bypassing it and leaving it as is.

If anyone could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Java Patches
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

"Now of course when I skip it in the scan template Shavlik removes all trace of Java off the machine instead of just bypassing it and leaving it as is."

That should not be the case, ignoring or filtering Java out of the scan would not uninstall Java from the target machine. The solution for your original issue (not updating java) would be to ignore Java updates through Patch Groups or Product filtering the Scan Template.  Something else must triggering the uninstall.  Part of the Java instal deployment routine is to remove ALL previous versions of Java from the system at reboot. This uninstall job would be running from the MS scheduler.  Finding it and deleting it would prevent Java (7u76) from uninstalling from these machines.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Java Patches
            Rookie

So skipping it in the template would as I suspected ignore software products under that developer.  I did just test the template again with that change made after checking Java as a skipped scan item and it seemed to not uninstall it as it did last time, so I guess I just must have missed a reboot when Java was still included and it ran the boot task of removing the old Java even though the new one had already been installed.

Now for the patch group settings, could I manually select all the Java patches from the selection list and then choose this patch group as the skip selected in lieu of selecting all the other separate patches or would I need to solely select the versions of Java I would like to keep it at, as in 7u76 and then have that as part of the scan?

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Java Patches
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Yeah, it's possible a missed reboot uninstalled Java after reverting. Reboot one of those machines again to make sure it doesn't uninstall Java again.

As soon as you choose the option 'Scan Selected' in the Scan Template, you only scan for the items in the Patch Group.  You would have to use the option 'Skip Selected' and add the versions of Java you want to ignore to the Patch Group.  You will have to update the Patch Group with newer Java update going forward.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Java Patches
                Rookie

Alright, thank you! That is very helpful.  As I said I'm new to this stuff and a little help understanding the features that I have at my disposal is monumentally helpful to me. Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Java Patches
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Any time!

Charles