3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 2:58 PM by cjensen

Google Chrome Update Deployments

Rookie

Is anyone else having trouble deploying Google Chrome patches in the last couple weeks?  After deploying them in Shavlik they just sit there in the Operations Monitor as "Executing" and never finish.  If I go to the clients and open Chrome and look at the "About" screen, it indicates that an update is running and after 2-3 minutes it finishes and requires a restart of the application to complete the install.  Again, this problem just started with the last 2 or 3 Chrome updates, it used to work fine in the background.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Google Chrome Update Deployments
          cjensen SupportEmployee

Hi there,

We haven't seen any common issues such as the one you have described. It seems like something may be happening with the installation on the target machine. Does this happen on all of your machines or just a few select ones? One thing you could try to see if the issue persists would be to invoke a pre-deployment reboot on the machine through your deployment template. This would allow any processes that may be interfering with the installation to be closed prior to patching. Please let me know if the issue persists after this change.

Thanks,

Channing

• 2. Re: Google Chrome Update Deployments
            Rookie

Does this happen on all of your machines or just a few select ones?
            Yes, it is happening on all machines. Prebooting does not help.

What I have discovered is that Google Chrome is now installing two seperate services to do automatic updates as soon as Chrome is launched.  This is the updating that I'm seeing when I look at the About box after starting the application.  Perhaps these services are preventing Shavlik from doing an update even though the Chrome browser is not running at the time???  The effect of this issue is that Chrome doesn't get updated until it is actually launched by the user and wouldn't get updated even then if the user/workstation doesn't have internet download rights.

• 3. Re: Google Chrome Update Deployments
              cjensen SupportEmployee

Upon testing this I am seeing the two services be created, the Google Update Service (gupdate) and the Google Update Service (gupdatem), however when re-scanning the machine prior to launching the browser I am seeing the latest version of Chrome being detected already. In short, I could not reproduce this as you are seeing it. This may be an issue best addressed through a support case, which can be created at support.shavlik.com. Alternately you can reach out to our support team at 1-800-690-6911 and we can take a further look immediately.

Thanks,

Channing