"In a patch group, new patches are available to add to the patch group as soon as they're available to Shavlik, correct?"
- Yes. The patches are available once Protect is updated with content XML that contains support for the new patches.
"Then they must be downloaded to Shavlik, so that Shavlik can push them to the target machines, is that correct? Is that true for all patches, including Windows patches?"
- Yes. Patches are download to the Protect server, this is true for ALL patches.
"When are they downloaded? When they are deployed?"
- The patch will be automatically downloaded during a deployment.
- The patch can be downloaded through the Protect GUI in many locations. Scan Results, View > Patches, View Machines and so on.
- These patches are deployed when you choose to deploy the patches. This can be an adhok setup for each scan/deployment or it can be reoccurring scheduled too.
"I know they can be manually downloaded. Right now, I am trying to download Windows6.1-KB3065987-x64.msu but I keep getting the error "The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found." How do I fix this? And what is the remote server? Is that a Microsoft server? A Shavlik server?"
- All patches are download from the vendor. We do not host patches.
- I was able to download the patch. If you notice below, the latest version of the patch is V2, I'm going to assume you do not have the latest data files. Please make sure you have the latest content XML files in Protect. Run a Help > Refresh Files to manually download all of the data files for Protect. FYI: Data files are automatically download before a scan. You can also schedule these downloads through Tools > Operations > Download > Schedule automatic download for Core engines/Definitions.
Let me know if you have more questions.