2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2015 10:52 AM by rbabcock

Numerous Patch Failures

azdoug Rookie

Hello,

I am experiencing numerous patches failures for no obvious reason. I have tried all of the usual steps:

1. Deleted the ProPatches folder on PCs,

2. Deleted the patches on the server and had them downloaded again during sub-sequent deployments.

3. Performed SQL database maintenance.

The failures are intermittent. A patch for IE9 will install successfully on one PC but not another. Often after a patch failure, I will try and run the patch manually and I receive a Windows error staing the file is corrupt. I delete the file and resend it from Shavlik and I can then re-install it manually. I have been using NetChk Protect for over ten years and have never seen this many random problems.

About the only thing I have not done is delete my DB and started over.

Any help or ideas anyone may have are greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Numerous Patch Failures
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We verify the digital signature of all Microsoft patches in 3 separate times.  1) Download the Protect server 2) Before copying to the client machine  3) Before installing on the client machine.  If the patches are being copied to the client machine then the corruption of the file is happening on the client machines.  Are these all Microsoft patches?  Do you use Distribution Servers?  Agent or Agentless?

We can attempt to troubleshoot this on the community, but due to the nature of the issue it would be best to open a case with Support.  This we way we can request detailed information about your setup and much needed logs.

Support Portal

Protect 9.X console logging:

1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services.

a. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5.  Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

b. [Deployment issues only] On the

Deployment Logs (All current supported versions)

(For agentless deployment)

It is best to enable target side verbose logging before obtaining these logs. See the following document on how to do so:
          http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-23048

1. On the machine you are deploying to navigate to C:\Windows\ProPatches
          2. Locate the CL5.log, dplyevts.log, and Safereboot.log and copy to a new folder on the desktop.
          3. Navigate to C:\Windows\ProPatches\Scheduler.
          4. Locate the Scheduler.log and add it to the folder created in step 2 so all logs are together.
          5. Zip and send all the logs.

Protect 9.x agent logging:

1. Open the agent policy assigned to the machine we are gathering logs from.

2. Change the logging level to ‘All’ and Save and update Agents.  Choose to update agents if prompted.

3. Go to the target machine, close the agent GUI and stop the services:

o The services start with Shavlik or ST.

4. Delete all the logs from:

o Vista & Later: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

o Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5. Start services.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please note the steps to reproduce.

7. Take applicable screenshots.

8. Zip and send all the logs and screenshots. (from the previous specified folders above)

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Numerous Patch Failures
            rbabcock Apprentice

If Windows says the file is corrupt, it might be useful to compare the file to a good copy.  It might be truncated.  Single bit errors could indicate memory problems.