1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2015 7:36 AM by cwinning

Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files

Rookie

The past week or so when I run a scan, the operations monitor reports that the patch progress is "0 of" whatever and the status is building deployment files.  When you look below at each machine the state is "file downloaded" for each machine.  It never moves past this point.  I have done the obvious; rebooted the server, refreshed the files, confirmed everything is up to date, and synced the distribution servers.  I do not know what is up with this.  Any thoughts or advice?

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You've covered most of what I would have posted.  I have seen SQL connection issues cause the 'Building Deployment Files' process hang too.

• Do the deployments actually occur?
          • Do you see any processes spiking on the Protect server?
          • Does this happen for all deployments?

Unfortunately logs are going to be key here, they will tell us what is happening during this operation and hopefully where the failure is.

1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services.

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5. Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue.  In your case, you would perform a scan with automatic deployment and wait for the Deployment Tracker to get 'stuck' on 'Building Deployment Files'.  Make sure you wait a good 10-15 minutes before collecting logs.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

7. Zip and send all the logs.

Most customer are leery about posting lost on public communities so opening a case with support and referencing this thread would be advisable.  Customer Support Portal

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Charles

• 2. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
            Rookie

I have created a support case 00840224 with the information requested.

• 3. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thank you for creating the case, I'm looking at the logs now.  The logs would indicate the deployments are completing, so this may only be a Deployment Tracker issue.

Do you have answers for these?

• Do the deployments actually occur? (targets get patches and machines reboot?)
              • Does this happen for all deployments for that specific location?

Edit:  The odd thing is, I don't see errors that would indicate a deployment or Deployment Tracker failure.  Can you please confirm the Deployment Tracker never updated past 'Building Deployments Files' for this deployment?

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                Rookie

So I took some screenshots for you.  I left the operations monitor open all weekend and here is the screenshot from this morning that shows the are still building deployment files.deployment on 6-5.JPG

These machines were told to re-boot once the patches were complete.

I re-scanned some of these same machines to see if they showed any patch change, and they didn't. 

Here is a screenshot from this mornings scan.

deployment on 6-8.JPG

The patch count is the same.  most of these machines have been on the whole time and did not reboot.

I do not believe the patches get deployed.

This happens for all deployments for this location.

• 5. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                  Rookie

Here is the deployment tracker for the past 3 days.  I have several locations that are listed here, I believe in the screenshot there are 12 different locations.

Deployment tracker 6-8.JPG

• 6. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                    cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thank you, I will let you know when I have an update.

Thanks,

Charles

• 7. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

With the help of the we were able to determine the root cause of the deployment failure.  It turned out the root cause was a GoToMeeting patch that contained an '&' character in the URL.  Protect inserts the URL via an XML file and when Protect tried to parse the XML file to build the deployment file, it errors out and the deployment fails.

We have a workaround. This URL is only added to the XML file if you are using Vendor as backup in your Deployment Template. The workaround it to disable this option in the Deployment Template.

1. Open the Deployment Template and navigate to the Distribution Server tab.
                      2. Under Use Distribution Server by IP Range, uncheck Use vendor as backup source.

Thanks again to helping us track down this issue!

Regards,

Charles

• 9. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                        cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Did the workaround correct the issue?

Thanks,

Charles

• 10. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                          Rookie

The workaround wont work for us. We have many remote laptop users that may or may not be able to hit our LAN server at any given time. So if we disable "use vendor as backup" as suggested, these systems just wont patch as they won't be able to download the patches from anywhere.

• 11. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                            Rookie

Also, I don't get why that workaround would work anyways.

I'm scanning from my server, which detects missing patches on my workstations.

I then right-click those missing patches and say "download" and are available on my server for LAN workstations to hit.

When I do that, it says everything is downloaded.

Then when I deploy, it should be packaging and downloading the patches from my LAN server, not hitting the web or any sort of web URL.

Seems odd that this would fix the issue.

• 12. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                              Rookie

We have predefined patch groups we release each month. I did spot the GoToMeeting patch as being one that was in the list of missing patches. I removed that and things started working as intended.

Here is the patch I had to "blacklist" or remove from my patch group to fix this issue.

oaHoHN0.jpg

• 13. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                                Rookie

I was prepping my new patch package for this months patching and ran across a second GoToMeeting patch that causes the exact same issue. So now both of these are blacklisted on my end.

nPF8cyb.jpg

• 14. Re: Patches do not deploy, stay at building deployment files
                                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thank you for the additional information.

The issue will persist until the either 1) the GoToMeeting URL no longer contains a '&' in it or 2) we release code to correct the defect causing the issue when Vendor As Backup is enable in the  Deployment Template.  We have a ticket in with GoToMeeting support but have not heard from them. I do not have an ETA for a code fix for this issue.

Blacklisting the GoToMeeting patches would be your easiest workaround at the moment.

We know this is causing headaches for a few of our customers and want to assure everyone are aware of the issue and are attempting to take steps to fix it.

Thanks,

Charles

1 2 Previous Next