5 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 12:05 PM by cwinning

Google Earth update failing

Rookie

Hello, Using WUSCAN we are seeing Google Earth Non-security update appearing as missing (Bulletin ID GE15-001) and the patch fails to install. On further inspection, GE15-001 is looking for Google Earth file version 7.1.4.1529, but it appears that version 7.1.5.1557 (a newer version) is already installed.  This is happening for several workstations.  Our users do not have admin rights, so I don't think anyone installed a newer version manually. Please advise.

• 1. Re: Google Earth update failing
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I'm not going to be able to explain how Google Earth was updated on your machines, Protect does not support upgrading to 7.1.5.1557 yet.  Is it possible the Auto Update was somehow enable on these installs of Google Earth?  You may want to verify this.

GE15-001 should not show as missing on machines with a newer version of Google Earth as we use both registry and file detection to verify if a patch is needed.  Since I cannot reproduce this issue in my test lab, I highly recommend collecting a DPDTrace and Registry Exports and open a case with support.  This way we will know exactly what is installed on the target and why Protect is or is not detection a specific patch. Support Portal

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Charles

• 2. Re: Google Earth update failing
            Rookie

I did some additional research since my original posting.   Google Earth has a built-in updating process that CANNOT be turned off.   However, they offer a separate version for enterprises that does have the option to disable auto updating.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/05/customize-or-disable-google-update.html

I believe Chrome works similarly, but I can't confirm this as I do not use Chrome.

I normally don't like auto updates, but for us Google Earth is not important enough to worry about.   If non-admin users are auto updated with no user interaction, that's fine with me.   It's the annoying auto-update messages from other applications, where a user doesn't have the needed rights to actually perform the update that is bothersome.

So, for us, it's not worth the time to troubleshoot the problem.  

Cheers

• 3. Re: Google Earth update failing
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

This may not help, but I thought it would be a good thing to share.

I had a discussion with our Content Team regarding Auto Update and Google Earth.  We support (and push out) the .exe version of Google Earth which does not enable Auto Update.  To manually download this installer, Download the Google Earth installer from here: http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html and within the advanced setup uncheck the automatic updates. This will change the download to the standalone installer, we point to directly to this installer using this link:  http://dl.google.com/earth/client/advanced/current/GoogleEarthWin.exe

FYI:  We are adding support for 7.1.5.1557 in today's XML release.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Google Earth update failing
                Rookie

Interesting.... When I go to the first link (the agree.html version), there are "advanced options" for the download on whether or not updating is automatic..  I chose the version without auto update, downloaded and installed it. There's nothing in the UI about updates, so it's unclear what it's really doing, until the next version comes out. I'm glad the new XML will have the new version. I do think the detection logic may be wrong, in that it flags Google Earth as being unpatched, if the installed version is newer than the expected version in the XML.  Can someone verify the detection logic and see if it will consider the system patched if the same or NEWER version is installed?

• 5. Re: Google Earth update failing
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I can confirm there will be a change in the data to correct that issue today.

Thanks,

Charles