4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2015 8:36 AM by cwinning

Flash Player 17 - wrong file

Scl.. Rookie

The latest Flash Player is apparently 1700172 but when I install it through Shavlik Protect, it still shows as missing on a re-scan.

If you look at the file size of this 172 patch, it's exactly the same as 1700169. This explains why it's not showing as installed. Also, if you extract the 1700172 patch and drill down into the version file then it says it's 169.

Now, my issue with this is that exactly the same thing happened not long ago with 1600287 and 1600296. Why aren't the right Flash patches being downloaded?

• 1. Re: Flash Player 17 - wrong file
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I’ve seen a few cases where non-US customers are having issues with the Adobe Flash Player downloads.  Older versions of the Adobe Flash Player executable are being downloaded.

The reason for this:

Adobe provides a static URL for the Flash Player download, but they have multiple download sites around the world.  Through testing we have come to the conclusion Adobe is failing to update all of their download sites, primarily non-US sites.  This is causing Shavlik Protect and Shavlik Patch to download the outdated Adobe Flash Player executable. 

There is unfortunately nothing we can to do force Adobe to update the site so the customer will need to wait for Adobe to update the download sites for APAC and EMEA regions. 

Possible workaround: (not tested)

Shavlik Protect:

• Obtain the correct Adobe Flash Player, rename it to match the Shavlik name and place it in the Patches folder.
          • Wait for the Adobe site to update.

Shavlik Patch:

• Obtain the correct Adobe Flash Player, rename it to match the Shavlik name. Publish the patch as a locally published patch.
          • Wait for the Adobe site to update.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Charles

• 2. Re: Flash Player 17 - wrong file
            rbabcock Apprentice

For me, in the US, Adobe was providing the wrong IE file mid-morning; they had the right version a couple hours later.  I didn't realize the version was wrong until I saw deployments failing.  I deleted the bad file and a redownload got the right one and it deploys correctly.

The actual version is 17.0.0.188 so the Shavlik naming is a little strange (but doesn't break anything).

I have remove temp files checked in my deployment template.  If that wasn't checked, would a redeployment see that a patch file with the right name was already on the target and not replace it?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Flash Player 17 - wrong file
              Rookie

Charles, there's a deeper issue here than Adobe web site updates.  You need to look at what versions are actually being offered by Adobe vs. what you have indicated in your patch definitions because your definitions are not correct.  The ActiveX download appears as 17.0.0.188, while the latest Plug-in & AIR versions appear to be 17.0.0.172.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Flash Player 17 - wrong file
                cwinning CommunityTeam