3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2015 10:42 AM by cwinning

Source Job of a patch

Rookie

I'm trying to track down what scheduled job a patch is coming from on a certain subset of machines.

We have a few java sensitive machines and java keeps getting updated on them however I cant seem to find a good way to see what Shavlik scheduled job is responsible. The jobs log on the actual machine is blank, I can see the patch entry in log.  The console for the patch is listed as the machine's name but like I said the jobs log is empty.  I looked in the agent interface but that just appears to show me the same log entries as the Scheduled Task Manager.

Is there anyway to track down what job is installing java every patch night?

Running Shavlik Protect advanced 9.1.0 build 4511

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Source Job of a patch
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Eric,

This may be a little difficult to track down without a hands-on approach a WebEx would give us.  I'll give you my thoughts and we will go from there.

It looks like you are mixing Agent and Agentless here.  All jobs listed in the Scheduled Tasks Manager would be agentless.  All agent tasks are setup in the Agent Policy and would be controlled on each client by the agent.  In other words, what you see in the agent UI and in the Scheduled Tasks Manager are 100% separate.  I just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. ☺

Do these machines get updated at the same time on a regular schedule?  It's very important to figure this out.  If yes, you will have either a Patch Task set in the Agent Policy or a Scheduled job in the Scheduled Tasks Manager under the Protect server's name.  Since you have already look in the obvious place, the next place you should look is in the Microsoft Scheduler on the Protect server.  It's possible an old scan job rolled over to the Microsoft Scheduler and is kicking off these jobs.  The jobs will be very easy to pick out if there are there.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Source Job of a patch
            Rookie

Thanks for the reply Charles,

It was the agent policy part I was forgetting about. it looks like the machines in question had the wrong agent policy assigned to them when they were setup.

Thanks again,

Eric

• 3. Re: Source Job of a patch
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Any time Eric.

Thanks,

Charles