13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 7:47 PM by cwinning

Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent

Apprentice

I have had no  issues with  agentless  scanning and deployment. I am however having issues with agent deployment of patches.  In the agent  patch log I see deployment process failed and none of the computers  with the agent are patching they seem to be scanning fine.  I have  made sure all ports are opened in and out as detailed in the administration guide. I also have tried  without anti-virus, tried  to point it to vendor site for patch downloads as well as  specifying a distribution server (which I confirmed  the needed patches were in the  distribution share) as well as console download. Have removed and reinstalled the agent verbatim as in the complete uninstall document.   Tried different agent policies and tried using the default agent standard  deployment Template as well as custom ones nothing thus far  seems to work. I have also patiently waited several days for the patches to download and install   but nothing. The propatch patch folder is also empty. I have looked at logs etc. but thus far  have not been able to find the issue. If I do an agentless scan and deployment  all works fine. At the moment it is just a few test machines but in time will  need to deploy the agent at 50 + remote locations that have slow links (hence why I need agent).

Any suggestions  at what specific  logs to look at or what to check?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The Agent logs would be on the client machine here: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

The ProPatches folder is only used for non-agent deployments.

• Make sure you are attempting to perform the deployment from the agent and not accidentally from the Protect Console. Attempting to start the deployment from View > Machines or View > Results will not  work if the the scan results are from the Agent.  You need to allow the agent to Scan/Deploy using the Agent Policy configuration settings.
          • Do you have more information on the errors you saw?  Specifically information from the Agent GUI on the client machine. Do you see the deployment attempt?  Failures?  Retries?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
            Apprentice

I see there are  multiple logs and of those there is an stpatch.log The last part of the log entries show the following . I can add more of the log here is is there a way to attach it rather than pastings  the hundreds of lines in a post?

C:\ProgramData\LANDESK\Shavlik Protect\Agent\Patch\pd5.xml

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3034925Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:2444 CCombineHelper::ValidCombinerInput

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3034925Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:682 CCombineHelper::CombineProducts

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3191179Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:701 Processing Products from {0315e4cd-c370-4148-89cd-826c67bf207c}

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3191179Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:1245  CCombineHelper::CombineBulletins

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3816184Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:1262 Processing Bulletins from {0315e4cd-c370-4148-89cd-826c67bf207c}

2015-03-30T20:36:03.3816184Z 7f70 V Combiner.cpp:657  CCombineHelper::AddError - Bulletin [Stop error 0X000000D1 in rdbss!RxTimerDispatch occurs on a server that is running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1] over max length [128]

2015-03-30T20:36:04.4753889Z 7f70 S PatchAgent.cpp:1735 Leaving stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::BuildManifest uncaught exception.

2015-03-30T20:36:04.4753889Z 7f70 E PatchAgent.cpp:2298 Deployment process failed.

2015-03-30T20:36:04.4911625Z 4a90 V STPatch.cpp:93 Completed operation.

• 3. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
              Apprentice

I am thinking maybe the key to the issue is in the distribution  server settings.  The Policy I have set  is for the patch download location  via distribution server and set by ip range of the agent with vendor site being the backup.

My test machines are in the 10.44.25.XX range and the  console server is in the 10.44.10.XX  range (same physical location). Should there be  a distribution server entry for the console server  and a IP range setting for the 10.44.XX.XX range pointing to the  console server or not. If not how do the machines in the 10.44.25.XX range know  where to pull the patches from and be able to since they can't get out to the vendor sites?

• 4. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I don't suggest posting logs on the community. a case will be need for any heavy log analysis.

You need to setup the IP ranges in Tools > Operations > Distribution Servers > IP Ranges.  Click New, Enter the IP Range and then select the DS(s) assigned to the range.  You should only need a DS (Distribution Server) entry for the Protect console if you intend on using the server as a DS. A lot of admins will create a DS on the Protect console and use it as a backup in the IP Range settings.

Did you see any messages in the Agent GUI indicating patches could not be downloaded?

Thanks,

Charles.

• 5. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                  Apprentice

No did not see errors in logs indicating patch could not be downloaded  only parts I saw about deployment  were what I found in the log excerpt I posted earlier.

Ok so  for the distribution server  via the protect console server, should the share that is used  for the distribution server be a separate director than the console patch download directory?  I had configured the  distribution server for  the 10.44.XX.XX range  to point to the console server and have the patch download directory of the console shared out and configured as the target for the distribution server for that location. I should also add I have over 50 remote locations  and have configured a share and distribution server for each location in preparation for  deployment of agents at each of the locations as agentless scan that 10 + hours.

Thank you for your help

• 6. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                    cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I'm a fan of sharing out the C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\Patches folder on the Protect server.  This way you don't have patches in two locations on the Protect server.

You will want to setup the sync jobs in Tools > Operations > Distribution Servers.  Set the syncs for All Engines, Definitions and Patch Downloads.

For the deployment on the Agent:  There is a finite number times a deployment will attempt to download patches.  You may need to reset this.  Agent - Clear Retry Count

Thanks,

Charles

• 7. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                      Apprentice

Thinking maybe  my having set the console's patch directory as the share  for distribution being the problem, I have tried two  other menthods first was to setup the share on a different server in the same subnet as the  console server and setting up all its configuration  for distribution server, ip range distribution server configuration, patch sync etc as outlined in the admin manual for setting up a distribution server . . Same  issue occurs. So created a  new share folder  set up all the distribution server configurations canged to point to share etc. Once all files were in sync , tried patching again (after clearing patch count), same sisue. I did note something I had not seen before in the patch log and that is "DynamicProductDetection.cpp:1322 *** Error *** in UpdateProductNode. Attribute 'Value' does not exist. Detection of this product may be in error as a result."  not sure if that is  a possible culprit or not. I also did an agentless scan on my test machines that have the agent and confirmed that all patch files  are downloaded (all missing files show as downloaded   and sync test for distribution folder shows all is in sync so the patch files are available.

2015-03-31T16:08:37.5965207Z 7df0 W DynamicProductDetection.cpp:3460 Possible error in the detection script or the data in the registry for file path information is not correct.

2015-03-31T16:08:37.5965207Z 7df0 W DynamicProductDetection.cpp:3460 Possible error in the detection script or the data in the registry for file path information is not correct.

2015-03-31T16:08:37.6121464Z 7df0 W DynamicProductDetection.cpp:3460 Possible error in the detection script or the data in the registry for file path information is not correct.

2015-03-31T16:08:37.6122596Z 7df0 W DynamicProductDetection.cpp:3460 Possible error in the detection script or the data in the registry for file path information is not correct.

2015-03-31T16:08:37.8310117Z 7df0 E DynamicProductDetection.cpp:1322 *** Error *** in UpdateProductNode. Attribute 'Value' does not exist. Detection of this product may be in error as a result.

2015-03-31T16:08:38.1747639Z 8564 S PatchAgent.cpp:1457 Leaving stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::PatchScan.

2015-03-31T16:08:38.1747639Z 8564 I PatchAgent.cpp:2019 Patch scan completed - missing patches: 1, missing service packs: 0.

2015-03-31T16:08:38.2060133Z 8564 I License.cpp:60 Initialized licensing with 288 capabilities. Product is licensed. Expires 2015-07-14T00:00:00.

2015-03-31T16:08:38.2216381Z 8564 S PatchAgent.cpp:1735 Entering stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::BuildManifest.

2015-03-31T16:08:44.8939860Z 8564 S PatchAgent.cpp:1735 Leaving stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::BuildManifest uncaught exception.

2015-03-31T16:08:44.8939860Z 8564 E PatchAgent.cpp:2298 Deployment process failed.

• 8. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                        cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You are going to see a lot of errors that normally don't cause issues.  The DynamicProductDetection error above will not cause scan or deployment issues.

This error on the other hand is all about the deployment error:

2015-03-31T16:08:38.2216381Z 8564 S PatchAgent.cpp:1735 Entering stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::BuildManifest.

2015-03-31T16:08:44.8939860Z 8564 S PatchAgent.cpp:1735 Leaving stPatchEngine::CPatchAgent::BuildManifest uncaught exception.

2015-03-31T16:08:44.8939860Z 8564 E PatchAgent.cpp:2298 Deployment process failed.

Have you create an custom patches? Does anything show under Manage > Custom Patches?

If you like, we could setup a WebEx and I could take a look at your Protect console and a client machine.  This would speed things up.

Thanks,

Charles

• 9. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                          Apprentice

Yes I have one custom  patch but I am not using it as far as I know  during my agent patch scans. Sure we could setup a webex session.

• 10. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                            cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

There is an off change the custom patch is causing a combiner issue even if you are not actively scanning for it.  Try disabling the custom patch and then attempt another test on the agent.  Make sure the DS gets updated after disabling custom patch. 

I'll open a case for you and send you an email to setup a WebEx.  You should have the email by tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Charles

• 11. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                              Apprentice

I am willing to disable the custom patch as we no longer seem to need it. I did not see a way to disable the custom patch  would it not be listed in the scan template if used? I am currently using the built in WUscan  template for scanning

• 12. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                                Apprentice

Charles,

I went ahead and deleted the custom patch since we  were no longer needing it  (it was a hotfix for  BSOD with servers) and low and behold  the patching completed. So so far looks good we test further to be sure. Now why did that custom patch affect this  since it was not part of the  patches to scan for  except for the custom scan template I had specifically for that hotfix ? Nice that it finally seems to work . As I start to roll out the agent  there are numerous other question  I have  concerning blocking certain patch  etc but will post it in a separate post

Thanks again for your help

• 13. Re: Deployment Process failed, Shavlik agent
                                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

All custom patch XML is combined with Shavlik's data XML before scans are performed.  This is done for every scan to ensure the custom patch is available in all scans, even if you are not scanning for the custom patch.

I'm not sure why the XML would be causing the combiner to fail, it should work the same now as it did when you initially created the custom patch.

Glad you are up and running again!

Thanks,

Charles