3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 7:47 AM by cwinning

Method to generate summary report of Patch and Threat Definition versions on clients with agents

Rookie

I have a recurring issue where the clients (with agents) are not updating the Patch and Threat definitions and a manual update attempt on the client via the agent is often not successful.  My methods of resolving the problem are to either right click on a machine in the Shavlik Administration console and select (1) Update Patch Data and then (2) Update Threat Data.  If this does not work then I reinstall the agent.  One problem is that I cannot figure out how to accurately determine which version of the Patch and Threat definitions are on each client without walking to each client.  Does anyone know how to create a report or other procedure to do this within the console?

Even though the definitions on the console (Help->About->Shavlik Protect Advanced->Data Versions) might be up-to-date, I have found Shavlik Agents with Patch data that is weeks or months old. This leads to inaccurate patching information.  I would like to detect these issues sooner or resolve the issue in an automated manner.

• 1. Re: Method to generate summary report of Patch and Threat Definition versions on clients with agents
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

For correcting the root cause of the issue, you are will need to open a support case.  We are going to need configuration screenshots, console/agent side logs and possible a WebEx to determine why things aren't working.

Off the top of my head, possible issues could be:

• Agent corruption.
          • Outdated agents.
          • Distribution Server connection issues.
          • Missing updates on the Distribution Servers.
          • Agent licensing issues.
          • Agent results not updating the Protect console.
          • Cloud issues.
          • Various configuration issues.

Support can help you walk through the issue and find the root cause.  You could reference this post and I will be assigned as the escalation point for this issue.

For reporting:

1)  You could try pulling this information from the database using Report Views Guide

2)  You could also export this information from the View > Machines.  There should be a column for Patch Definition and Threat Definition, you can always add them by right-clicking on the column and choosing 'Column Chooser'.  The Machine View is dynamic depending on what column you move to the right so figure out what best suits your need.  I would suggest grouping by Assigned Agent Policy.  So your row order may be Assigned Agent Policy - Patch Definition - Threat Definition   To export, highlight the machines, right-click and choose 'Export selected machine to csv...'.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Method to generate summary report of Patch and Threat Definition versions on clients with agents
            Rookie

Charles,

The last line of your email resolved the first part of my issue.  After I didn't see the Patch and Threat definitions in the Column Chooser, I realized that the issue was because I needed to scroll right to see the remainder of the columns.  Embarrassing newbie error exacerbated by limited screen size on my remote desktop connection.  Now I am on to resolving the definition update issue which is probably just a Policy Issue.  Thanks for the nudge forward.

• 3. Re: Method to generate summary report of Patch and Threat Definition versions on clients with agents
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Glad I could help!  Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Charles