5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2015 5:36 PM by mathomas3

VMWare Scanning issues...

Rookie

Hello all...

Spent the morning working on this issue but I cant seem to figure it out... I will do my best to explain...

I have been trying to patch a Template...  Currently I can view the ESXi Hosts and the VMs hosted on each...

I have started a scan using the Creds for an Admin on the VM... I made sure it had the proper permissions... but alas the scan failed with an Error 1300... Not all pribileges or groups referenced are assigned to the caller... (just what does that mean...)

so after ensuring that I had the correct permissions and passwords again It failed...

I am at a loss...

Suggestions?

Mat    

• 1. Re: VMWare Scanning issues...
          SupportEmployee

Hi,

The error message is a generic error stating you haven't provided an account with full privileges that may be required to perform some action.

Not all privileges referenced are assigned to the caller.

In your machine group, do you have both the "Admin Credentials" and "Browse Credentials" set for the vm template once added to the group?

(Browse credentials being the vCenter administrator and Admin credentials being an administrator within Windows on the template.)

For the "Browse Credentials" make sure you are supplying a vCenter admin, not just an ESXi admin - templates are managed by vCenter.

Is this part of a domain? If the administrator account being supplied as the "Admin Credentials" doesn't have the following user rights you may need to make changes to the account:

Debug programs

Take ownership of files or other objects

Manage auditing and security log

Back up files and directories

Restore files and directories

I hope this helps!

-Adam

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: VMWare Scanning issues...
            Rookie

Thank you adam...

Yes this system is in a Domain... Government systems... I am supplying the admin credentials for Vcenter(which vcenter is tied into our AD) and I have no issues viewing the ESXi hosts and their VMs...

The Admin credentials I am supplying are for the local Admin account on the template... Which I have converted the template to a vm... Verified user name and password and also it's permissions... then converted that VM to a new template and tried to scan that... This failed as well...

very confusing...

Mat     

• 3. Re: VMWare Scanning issues...
              Rookie

I have done some further testing...

I have converted the template to a VM and tried to scan both of them at the same time... The template will error out with 1300... while the VM will error out with Unable to connect to the remote machine...

could it be that there is an issue with how shavlik and the esxi/vcenter are communicating?

thanks,

Mat

• 4. Re: VMWare Scanning issues...
                SupportEmployee

Well 'unable to connect to remote machine' is just going to mean there's a general connection issue - the machine can't be resolved or contacted at all.

Make sure when you're changing the state of the VM to click the 'Refresh' in the Hosted Virtual Machines tab of the machine group before running a new scan. The way it runs the scan will change depending on the state of the VM if it's been added as a hosted VM/template.

I unfortunately don't have much else to add if you're still getting error 1300 when it's in a template state. I'd suggest getting a case open directly with support so we can take a closer look at it then.

https://support.shavlik.com/

Thanks

-Adam

• 5. Re: VMWare Scanning issues...
                  Rookie

thank you...

I have been poking around a bit more and i think that maybe i have found something...

Shavlik is trying to login to the VM(most likely the template as well) with vcenter's permissions...