4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2015 1:41 PM by DantheMan

IP Address range scan not finding all machines

DantheMan Rookie

When I scan an IP Address range, the results are missing several machines. I have tried manually entering the machine name or IP Address and the Status in Operations Manager says " Network Connection error. Verify you can remotely log on to the specified machine."

I can manually install the agent and register using the console connection. Once doing this I can "Update patch data" and run "Weekly Patching" but it still doesn't show up when I scan the network from the Shavlik Protect server.

The server is starting to run out of space, so not sure if that would cause these kind of issues. Can I delete old versions of updates? Not sure if we need 3GB worth of iTunes installers in the Shavlik DataFiles.

These are all domain computers, no firewalls are enabled and other, older machines on the same subnet are showing up in the scan.

Any troubleshooting help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: IP Address range scan not finding all machines
          SupportEmployee

Hi,

Basically it seems like a general connection issue connecting from the Protect system to these target systems on the required ports. Even if you have an agent on the system - that won't affect an agentless scan initiated from the Protect console - that doesn't use the agent to run the scan.

I'd suggest starting with some basic troubleshooting:

From the Protect console-

-Can you ping the target system(s)?

-Does nslookup by machine name and IP match up are resolve the machine correctly?

-Can you connect to the system on ports 135 or 445? (ports used for scanning) If telnet is enabled you can test with the telnet command.

The only way space is an issue is if there's no room left for scan results to import to your database, but that probably would throw a different error/feedback. It never hurts to clean up though! You can go ahead and delete anything in the ProgramData\LANDESK\Shavlik Protect\Console\Patches directory. Protect will download any patch files needed again when you go to deploy patches next time.

I hope this helps. Thanks

-Adam

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: IP Address range scan not finding all machines
            DantheMan Rookie

Hello,

I expanded the drive to eliminate space as an issue. We now have ~30% free space.

-I can ping the target system from the Shavlik server

-nslookup for the machine name matches the IP being used by the machine.

-Testing with telnet to the machine using ports 135 and 445 appeared to be successful.

I also tried disabling and removing my Antivirus to see if that was causing a problem, no such luck.

Could it be aliens?

Thanks

• 3. Re: IP Address range scan not finding all machines
              SupportEmployee

Hey DantheMan

Aliens are a definite possibility.

Do you know if we can take a look at the logs from Protect? If you prefer to not send them via the community, feel free to open a case - https://support.shavlik.com/

Steps for getting the logs:

1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services.

a. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5.  Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

b. [Deployment issues only] On the target system please zip and send a copy of the entire C:\Windows\Propatches folder and its contents (you can leave out the Patches sub-folder).

7. Zip and send all the logs.

Thanks,

-Adam

• 4. Re: IP Address range scan not finding all machines
                DantheMan Rookie

Hello,

I opened a case and submitted a zip file containing my logs.

Thank you for your help!