1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 28, 2015 8:55 AM by adamg23

Patching question

Rookie

Curious as to how this works. When I run a scan it will show you things that need to be updated. For example Java and Adobe (latest being 16 for adobe and 8 for java) but instead of taking it up to the latest version it just patches it. Why not upgrade it to the latest? And my second question is how can I just update my systems to the latest? I dont want to just patch Id rather some systems ran the latest versions

• 1. Re: Patching question
          SupportEmployee

Hi Ron,

For many applications Protect will only patch the main version that exists on the system, but doesn't bring it to the next major version. Some people need a specific version to remain even when a newer main version is released. Java or other runtimes can be a good example. Often when an application is developed it uses a specific version of runtime and will no longer work if that runtime is updated to a new major version.

You can force the install of the latest versions using software distribution in Protect. This document shows how to do this:

Protect 9.0/9.1: Software Distribution Best Practices And Informational Guide

Hope this helps.

-Adam