I don't think there is a best way per say, but here are a couple of methods.
To manually create a report:
- Go to Tools > Create Report and decide which report works best for you. I like the Condensed Patch Listing.
- Check-mark Use Advanced Filter and then click Generate Report.
- Expand Machine and choose the machine you wish to report on.
- To show only missing patches, you can choose Missing under Patches > Patch Properties.
- Click OK to generate the report.
- More on that: How To Use Advanced Reporting / Reports Advanced Filtering
You could also setup reports to be sent after scans are complete:
There are other methods, I could expand on them if you these don't work for you.