3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 12:34 PM by cwinning

Shavlik not finding all computers on my network

Rookie

When I run a patch scan on our entire network or domain, not all of our computers are being recognized.

More detail: When scanning, I watch the Shavlik Protect Operations Monitor, and on Step 3 (Resolve machines to scan), it shows Attempted: 160; Resolved: 95, Failed: 65. When I look at the results and sort them by Machine, I can see some obvious exclusions.

Why are some machines completely unreachable and unlisted in the results, while some are unreachable, but provide error codes?

• 1. Re: Shavlik not finding all computers on my network
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

How do you have your Machine Group setup?  Are you using the built in Machine Groups - Entire Network and My Domain?  If yes, are you able to scan the omitted machine when adding them to a new Machine Group by name or IP?

For the machines you believe are being missed, do you see them listed in the Machines Not Scanned tab in the scan results?  What's the error associated?

Thank,

Charles

• 2. Re: Shavlik not finding all computers on my network
            Rookie

The computer we're missing is our webserver, which is in our DMZ and in its own workgroup, as opposed to being on the domain, so I thought when I used the pre-defined Entire Network group, it would pick it up.  Some of the documentation I've read leads me to believe it won't, while a couple posts suggests it might.  Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Shavlik not finding all computers on my network
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

It's going to be hit or miss for some of the workgroup machines when using entire network.  I believe they would show if you can see them through the browse computers on the Protect server.  Have you consider using an IP range(s) when scanning?  That would definitely pick of the machines barring any other resolution issues.

Thanks,

Charles