2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 7:35 AM by stefan.gal

Slow patching

Rookie

I was patching 20 servers this friday that all was missing about 120+ patches.

Most of the servers installed the patches fast, but 10 hours later, 2 servers where not half way done.

The server where not under a heavy load. I stopped the updates and did the rest of the updates with normal Windows Update. After about an hour they where done installing.

This was 2008 R2 2,4 Ghz 16 GB ram.

Anyone got tips for what I can look for that might cause the Shavlik patch to act slower then normal Microsoft patching?

• 1. Re: Slow patching
          SupportEmployee

The patch files that Shavlik Protect uses to install Microsoft Patches are downloaded from Microsoft. They are the same files used by Windows Update. The difference is that Shavlik runs Microsoft install files using a Windows batch file in the background under Normal priority. In preliminary lab testing, we have increased the background process priority to High and have seen patches run up to 8 times faster than those ran using a Windows batch file under normal priority. To increase the the background process for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 machines, we inserted the following Actions in a Deployment Template Custom Action tab to run "Before any patches":

wmic process where name="TrustedInstaller.exe" CALL setpriority 128

wmic process where name="msiexec.exe" CALL setpriority 128

Note that these commands are for Windows 2008 R2, Windows 7, and earlier versions.  Windows 2012 and Windows 8.X use different process names and handle processes differently.  Support has not done any testing with these later version of windows.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Slow patching
            Rookie

I have had similar problem. It turned out that that Windows Update was enabled on the computer and the system performed a full scan before each patch. After Windows Updated was disabled, patching was fast again. You can look into the C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log file to see which operation took too long.

1 of 1 people found this helpful