6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2014 4:32 AM by rkempton

Finding old Patches

rkempton Rookie

Hello

Last week I carried out some patching of our server estate and at the beginning of the week everything was installing correctly and on a rescan showing no more patches to install. However, towards the of the week I did a rescan of all the servers to check for any patches that I had missed. I noticed that servers that were previously showing no patches to install were now reporting as needing multiple patches some of which were 2 years ago. After further investigation, it appears that all these patches were for .NET Framework 4 client. I have not changed my scan template and I only scan for Security Patches and Security tools.

Does anyone have any idea how or why this has happened?

Thanks

Roy

• 1. Re: Finding old Patches
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The last .Net Framework revision I see was in a content release:  XML version  2.0.0.9040 Last Modified 10/16/2014

Revision: Updated MSFT-DN10(Q2901907): Updated affected product.

There was a request to offer as non-security update instead of just Soft Distribution. Deployment/update from .net 4.0/4.5/4.5.1 to 4.5.2.  Though, that was awhile ago

Could I get a list of the .Net Framework patches that show missing on server?  I will verify there weren't any detection logic changes for the patches that week.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Finding old Patches
            rkempton Rookie

Hi Charles

Please find attached and screen shoot of the missing patches.

Thanks

Regards

Roy

• 3. Re: Finding old Patches
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I can't see recent changes to any of the patches in the screenshot.  It's possible a previous .Net patch changed something on the client to cause additional patch to be required.

How many machines are like this?

What happens when you install these patches?  (.Net patches take a long time to install)

This is all educated guesses at this point, I would suggest installing the patches to see if they continue to show as installed.  If they do, you could have a corrupt install of .Net on this/these machines.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Finding old Patches
                rkempton Rookie

Hi Charles

There are about 40 machines like this and the patches seemed to have started to appear at the beginning of last week.

I have just installed the missing patches on a test machine, they are all installed OK and a rescan shows the machine as up to date.

Regards

Roy

• 5. Re: Finding old Patches
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Roy,

The fact the patches installed would indicate the patches were really needed on these machines.  I can't see any modifications to these patches since last month so the detection logic for the patch should have been the same.  I suppose it's possible you were using old data files before the previous changes to .Net patches, but that is a long shot.

I'm not going be able to give you a definitive answer on why this happened.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Finding old Patches
                    rkempton Rookie

Hi Charles

Thanks for your help

Regards

Roy