7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2014 10:30 AM by cwinning

Pending Reboot PC Reports

Rookie

After deploying patches to a machine group is there any way to scan that group and find out which ones have received the patches and are just pending reboot? It seems that i scan/deploy/repeat a lot of times before seeing 0 missing patches on all PC's. Figuring this out would help me a great deal when reporting back to my supervisor.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

It may be difficult to troubleshoot this without detailed logs, but we can go through the basics.

To answer your initial question, you could scan the Machine Group again, but patches that require a reboot won't show as installed until the reboot occurs.

Are you allowing an immediate reboot after deployment?  Are the client machines actually rebooting after the deployment?  If using custom deployment settings, what are your reboot options in your Deployment Template?

Are you sure the patches are the same each time you scan and deploy?  Protect will only show missing patches that are applicable to the client machine at the time if the scan.  It's possible a patch or two are causing new patches to be applicable after installing the original batch of patches.

It's not uncommon to have to scan - deploy - reboot and repeat until all patches are installed.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
            Rookie

I am not forcing a reboot, i am just giving them a prompt that says "Please reboot at the end of the day" (of course not everyone follows those instructions).

I'm not 100% sure there isn't new patches being added that are showing up missing, but it doesn't appear to be the case. It seems like to me users just arent rebooting.

Is there no option to see which PC's are requiring a reboot?

• 3. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Try running either the Deployment Status by Deployment or Deployment Status by Machine.  Tools - Create Report.   You can use the drop down menu 'Deployment to report on' to choose your specific deployment.

There should be Pending Reboot statuses for machines that have not rebooted.

Have you ever though about use the option to reboot when the user logs out?

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
                Rookie

Thanks for the info.

I personally would like to have them reboot after logging out. Unfortunately that decision is not up to me as i have been instructed to let all users reboot at their own will.

• 5. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

It can be difficult to balance securing a PC/Server and not disrupting work.  Any thoughts on schedule this to run over the weekend?  (not sure if these are PCs or Servers)

Let me know if the reports help.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
                    Rookie

The reports do help, thank you.

I actually do run deployments over the weekend. The only trouble is the laptops. Company policy forbids leaving them in the office.

Thanks for all your help

• 7. Re: Pending Reboot PC Reports
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thanks for letting me know the reports helped.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,

Charles