7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 7:36 AM by cwinning

Update database for Shavlik offline scanning

Rookie

I have gone through multiple "tutorials" for how to do offline patching but still have some issues that I can't resolve.  The "missing" patches are related to an IE8 update and to Win2008 SP1 (SP1 makes up about 20 missing patches).  I have tried to manually install the exe files, but the OS comes back and says they are already installed.  Shavlik however, says they are missing and I'm unable to get a clean scan.  I'm not sure if there is just a way to update the SQL database manually to show the patches exist or what the proper methods should be, but I have 5 "offline" servers right now that I'm unable to put into Production because I can't resolve these issues.  Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

The two things I would first look at are:

1) Are you using a custom scan template? If yes, what shows when using the Security Patch Scan template?  Do these patches install?

2) Did you disable the 'Use Replacement Patches' option in Tools > Options > Scans?  Doing so could cause superseded patches show missing.

This type of case may be best handled through a support case (logs). but we can continue through the community until we can't continue.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
            Rookie

I'm not using a custom template that I'm aware of (this is a fresh install in a new environment).  I checked that option, and the box is checked for 'Use Replacement Patches'.  It may be a matter of just getting the right XML files from the online server, but I haven't been able to find the right combination that doesn't break my DB connection when I replace them on the offline server. 

• 3. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I still don't have enough to give you a definitive answer.

"I'm not using a custom template that I'm aware of (this is a fresh install in a new environment)."

What is the name of the Scan Template you are using?  If it's not Security Patch Scan or WUScan then you are using a custom scan template.  You should test using one of these templates.

I would suggest using this article to obtain the files for the offline Protect console.  The PowersShell script will download all the required files that can then be copied directly into the C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\DataFiles folder of the offline server.  This takes the guess-work out of what files to copy over.

If that doesn't work, then I would suggest creating a case through the Support Portal and attach logs generated by the following:

1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services.

a. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5.  Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue.In your case, scan one target machine using either the Security Patch Scan or the WUScan.  Please also list the patches you are having issues with.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

b. [Deployment issues only] On the target system please zip and send a copy of the entire C:\Windows\Propatches folder and its contents (you can leave out the Patches sub-folder).

7. Zip and send all the logs.

Thank you,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
                Rookie

Thank you, I have gathered the info above and submitted a support case.  I apreciate the assistance!

• 5. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Great, you should be hearing from a support engineer sometime today.  I'll keep an eye on the case to make sure it moves forward.

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
                    Rookie

After handing the log files over to support. it was determined that the program was still trying to use old definition files (which must have been included in the copy from the online server). After clearing out the C:\ProgramData\LanDesk\Shavlik Protect\Console\DataFolder folder, I manually downloaded all of the files (couldn't get the Powershell script to work or it would have saved some time) and put them in that directory on the offline server.  Upon launching Shavlik, it went through a "refresh" process and then the scan successfully ran without false results.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Update database for Shavlik offline scanning
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Nick,

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know what the ultimate solution was.

Thanks,

Charles