3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2014 11:44 AM by cwinning

manage scheduled tasks for multiple domains (browse credentials?)

joerabbi Rookie

Is it possible to manage scheduled tasks in multiple domains or forests using 9.1 ?

We have multiple domains (Test, Dev etc.) that I patch using Protect.  I can define credentials for these domains to scan and patch, however, in previous versions I could not manage scheduled tasks because the system would only use my default credentials to authenticate.  Since these credentials were for a different domain, they naturally failed.  I think this would be "browse credentials"??

I thought I saw that this problem was resolved with the current version, is this true?  Is there somewhere I need to set this up?

I also have machines and domains show up in the list that no longer exist, how can I remove these?

Thanks,

Joe

• 1. Re: manage scheduled tasks for multiple domains (browse credentials?)
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello Joe,

How do you have your Machine Groups setup?  Are you scanning via Organizational Unit (OU) or Domain? 

"I also have machines and domains show up in the list that no longer exist, how can I remove these?"

If you mean View > Machines you can delete them by right-clicking and choosing Delete.  If you mean in scan attempts you will need to remove them from the Machine Group.  In the case of scanning by OU and Domain, we obtain a list of machines from your AD so you would need to remove the machines from your AD.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: manage scheduled tasks for multiple domains (browse credentials?)
            joerabbi Rookie

Greetings Charles,

My Machine Groups are created manually.  Scanning and deploying all work fine.

If I go to Manage>Scheduled Tasks, I see all of my forests and domains, including some that no longer exist.  With the default domain (where the Shavlik server resides) I can see the jobs and logs and I can cancel jobs if needed.  With the other domains, I cannot connect.

I believe that the problem is the credentials used to connect to the other domains in Scheduled Task Manager, I think it is trying to connect using the default credentials.

When I refresh the server in another domain I get the message that the scheduler is not available on the machine (error 11001), it indicates that "upgrading the scheduler will allow you to view scheduled jobs", when I choose upgrade scheduler now, it prompts for credentials, I choose the credentials for that domain and it fails.  It says the scheduler is unavailable, connection refused.

I did try to create some machine groups for the other domains using the OU in that domain, however, the connections all failed similarly.

Thanks,

Joe

• 3. Re: manage scheduled tasks for multiple domains (browse credentials?)
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thanks for the additional information.

This should work cross domain without issue, as long as prerequisites are met.  Protect uses certificate authentication to communicate to the target scheduler so cross-domain wouldn't come into play unless you are installing the scheduler.

"Error Code 11001: Host not found"

This is a Microsoft error indicates an issue contacting the target machine.

Do you add machines via NETBIOS, IP or FQDN?

Can you resolve the target machine by NETBIOS?

Is port 5120 open from the Protect server to the target machine?

Is port 3121 open from the target machine to the Protect server?

Can you see the ST Remote Scheduler Service running on the target machine?

I think what you are seeing is non-working scheduler on the target machine and you are unable to install the scheduler from the Protect GUI.

The only thing I can think of is the credentials you are choosing to 'upgrade/install' the scheduler cannot be authenticated across the networks.

Are the credentials you are supplying domain\username? 

"including some that no longer exist."

Go to View- Machines and delete any machine that no longer exists.  This will remove these machines from the machine list in the scheduler manager.

So the short answer is, we don't know of any issues above and beyond typical prerequisites issues.

It may be faster to create a support ticket and then request a WebEx with support to take a look.  You can request that I be on the WebEx too.

We can definitely continue to troubleshoot this through this thread too, but I think access to logs and a possible WebEx would expedite this.

Thanks,

Charles