3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 1:11 PM by cwinning

Multiple patch/reboot cycles for hotfix rollup

rbabcock Apprentice

support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511 says that the hotfix rollup has three regressions.  What I'm seeing is that after applying the rollup, I have to re-apply windows6.1-kb2878378-v[2,3,4]-x64.msu before Protect says I'm up to date (Windows 7, 64-bit).  Problem is, Protect sees these regressions one at a time and wants a reboot after each one.  Is there any way you could detect all 3 regressions in a single scan?

• 1. Re: Multiple patch/reboot cycles for hotfix rollup
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

These regression patches require a reboot (per Microsoft) before they are fully installed and each patch needs to be fully installed before the next patch can be installed.  There is unfortunately nothing we can do between the patch installs to make them completely install without reboots and not possibly cause other issue.

Thank you,

Charles

• 2. Re: Multiple patch/reboot cycles for hotfix rollup
            rbabcock Apprentice

The problem isn't that the regression fixes require a reboot, it's that they require 3 reboots.  If I apply the patches manually, each one says a reboot is needed, but the patch installers don't say I need to reboot before doing another one.  How is this different from a typical batch of patches where more than one may require a reboot but they all run in one session?

• 3. Re: Multiple patch/reboot cycles for hotfix rollup
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

You cannot install all three patches in the same scan/deployment due the install prerequisites..  Although you can install all three patches without rebooting the machine between patch install.  Deploy the first two patches using a deployment template that does not reboot the machine.  Install the remaining patch with a deployment template that does reboot. 

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Charles