4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 12:04 PM by MertzIT

Action Center "This program will not run" "Windows did not trust this program"

Rookie

From time to time Windows Action Center (Windows 7) tells me Shavlik Protect definitions are out of date and prompts me to click the prompt to initiate an update. Clicking the prompt brings up a dialog:

Title: Action Center

Heading: This program will not run

Message: Windows did not trust this program because its identity can't be verified

Around the 'net there are others reporting similar issues with security software, and the solution is usually to manually uninstall the software and reinstall it, but this isn't working with Shavlik Protect.tes

I can still run the updates from inside the Shavlik interface, and the policy actions still appear to be working properly, so this isn't a really serious problem, but it's an annoyance, and something I'd like to understand the reason behind and hopefully a solution for.

I am running Shavlik Protect 9 update 1, though I've seen this issue for a couple months now.

• 1. Re: Action Center "This program will not run" "Windows did not trust this program"
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I would suggest an upgrade to the latest version of Protect 9.1 Patch 1, but I don't think that would do anything for you. (although there are other benefits)  We have a  historic case where a customer had a single Windows 7 machine with this issue.  The customer corrected the issue by completely uninstall the agent and re-install it.

I did a bit of research and was unable to find a definitive answer to this question.  One thing I did find is the issue is most likely due to the fact the root cause is with Windows 7, I do see quite a lot of other products having the same issue when searching on the internet too.

Are these Windows 7 machine fully patched?  This includes service packs?

There is mention of various viruses hijacking the Action Center so it's possible these machines are infected in some way.  If you don't already have one setup in your policy, I would suggest creating a Full Threat Task in the agent policy, update the agent then run it.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Action Center "This program will not run" "Windows did not trust this program"
            Rookie

Thanks for the response. I noted in my initial post that I am running update 1. My version number installed matches the latest version available for downloadr

Yes, this does appear to be occurring only on Windows 7 machines and they are all patched up to at least the last couple weeks' security patches. There are no viruses on the machines this issue has occurred on, unless I am sorely mistaken, which I am not usually on that subject.

I did a reinstall, but I didn't do a remove, manual clean, then reinstall. I suppose I'll give that a try. However, that's a rather frustrating process to carry out on multiple systems.

• 3. Re: Action Center "This program will not run" "Windows did not trust this program"
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We have Protect 9.0 Patch 1 and Protect 9.1 Patch 1.  You stated you are running Protect 9 update 1 which would indicate Protect 9.0 Patch 1.   I didn't want to assume you were referring to the latest version of Protect, thank you for confirming this!

It's possible a portion of the agent is failing to registry, most likely at the certificate level.  We would need full verbose logs from an agent machine to track down if this is happening. 

1) Make sure the logging level for the agent is set to 'All'.

2) Uninstall and then re-install the agent with the logging level set to All.

3) Use the Support Portal to create a case and attach all the logs from C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs on the client agent machine.  (please zip the logs into one zip file)

You can Attn: the case to Charles and I can take a look at the logs.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Action Center "This program will not run" "Windows did not trust this program"
                Rookie

RE versions: Ahhh. That explains it. I'm fully patched with latest, so, 9.1 update 1. (9.1.0 Build 4446).

I'll do as you suggest and forward a ticket if it continues.