5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2014 9:02 AM by cwinning

Problems deploy .Net framework patches

Rookie

Hi,

We encounter a strange behavior while deploying .Net framework patches.

To save time, We want to deploy security patches (windows and .Net patches) on the servers in the morning and perform a reboot in the evening. Because we

can't reboot servers during office hours.

So, after scanning the servers we deploy the patches with a template configured without reboot (before nor after).

Windows patches install perfectly, .Net Framework patches starts but do nothing as if they're waiting for some input or a mouseclick on the console. The

deployment stays like this for ages.

If we kill the .Net patch executable on the server, the next .Net patch starts with the same behavior and so on... until all the .Net patches are deployed.

After this, the deployment of the rest of the patches runs without a problem.

Installing the .Net patches manually on the server works like a charm.

So, another strange thing is, when we deploy the same set of patches on the same set of servers by using a template configured with a reboot after the

deployment, the deployment of the .Net patches cause no problems.

Can someone help us out with this ?

We've found a workaround for this but it's very time-consuming :

- We copy the patches to the servers by using a template configured with a reboot after the deployment. ("copy files to selected machines but do not install"

option)
      - We logon to each server and open the deployment batch file in the c:\windows\propatches\install folder
      - Change the parameter Set REBOOTOPT= from 1 to 0
      - Scroll down to the end of the file
      - Remove these lines :

"%PATHTOFIXES%cl5.exe" 1024 974 "Rebooting machine"
      "%PATHTOFIXES%cl5.exe" 2097196 974 "%PATHTOFIXES%safereboot.exe" " -m 1 -o 1 -s 1 -i 1 -w 60 -power 4 -requestor 1" "HF_Reboot"

- Save the batch file and dubbleclick it

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Problems deploy .Net framework patches
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I have a few ideas.

Are there any other options in the Deployment Template you are changing?  Specifically, did you disable "Quiet Mode' in the General tab?  Disabling would cause some patches to hang during deployments with no dialog pop-ups on the target machine.  Please verify this is enabled for all your Deployment Templates.  I've been bitten by this in the past.  ☺

Regarding the following statement:  "If we kill the .Net patch executable on the server, the next .Net patch starts with the same behavior and so on... until all the .Net patches are deployed."

We know the deployment process is working since other patches are installing and the .Net patch executable is running.  We treat all MS patches and .Net patches the same, so if a MS patch installs then the .Net patch should install without issue.  A total failure to install all .Net patches would indicate a localized issue with .Net patching on your systems.  What most customers don't realize is once a patch is running, all the work is being done by the patch, the OS and the product being patched.  In other words, if the patch execution starts, Protect is merely waiting for a completion or a hard failure, either will allow the deployment process to continue to the next patch until completion.  As you see the deployment process will hang is one of those two actions don't take place.  That leads us to timing, .Net patches are notorious for taking a long time to process, even when installing them by hand.  Just the other day, I installed a 2MB .Net patch in my test lab and it took a little under an hour to process and larger .Net patches have taking much longer.  The time measured was from the time the executable start to when the patch was installed.  Is it possible you didn't allow enough time for the install to happen?

I think that is a good place to start, I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Problems deploy .Net framework patches
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

thanks for the reply.

I'll check your suggestions and let you know the results on Monday.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Problems deploy .Net framework patches
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Fantastic, thank you.

Best regards,

Charles

• 4. Re: Problems deploy .Net framework patches
                Rookie

Hi Charles,

I had the time to check the settings and .... I've been bitten by the same thing you've been bitten in the past : The "quiet mode" setting in one of the templates was unchecked. Grrrr.

I've performed a test and everythings works fine now. .Net patches install with no problems.

Thanks for the help !

• 5. Re: Problems deploy .Net framework patches
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I'm glad to see everything is working again!  I just spoke with the Protect Manager for Protect and he agrees we should remove this option from the Deployment Template since it causes these types of issues and provides little benefit. 

I would expect it to be removed in the next major release.

Thank you,

Charles