3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 12:06 PM by cwinning

Protect Console Service says its stopped

Rookie

Protect console service error says its stopped but it is running. I've stopped and restarted the service several times but Shavlik still doesn't connect.

How do I fix this problem? I appreciate any help provided.

• 1. Re: Protect Console Service says its stopped
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

With an issue like that, I would suggest rebooting the server. ☺

If that fails to correct the issue run the Database Setup Tool from the Start menu.  Choose existing database and make sure the account set for the service connection is valid.  Lastly, the connections the service use are web based calls so proxies have been known to cause issues.  Go into your Internet Explorer settings Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings.  Make sure the 'Bypass Proxy server for local addresses' is enabled.

The logs would definitely help, it may be prudent to create a case and attach some logs to it.

1. Please open the Protect GUI and then go to Tools > Options > Logging and change logging to “All” for both user interface and services.

a. If you are unable to set logging via the GUI see this doc: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-22938

2. Close the Protect GUI.

3. Stop the following services

a.Shavlik Protect Console Service

b. ST Remote Scheduler Service

4. Delete all the logs from

a.  Windows 7, 8, 2008, 2012 & Vista: C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

b.  Earlier OS’s:  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\LANDesk\Shavlik Protect\Logs

5.  Start the console service and open the Protect GUI.

6. Attempt to reproduce the issue. Please document steps to reproduce.

a. Collect the logs from the Logs folder mentioned earlier in step 4 (please zip if possible)

b. [Deployment issues only] On the target system please zip and send a copy of the entire C:\Windows\Propatches folder and its contents (you can leave out the Patches sub-folder).

7. Open a case with support and attach the logs.

Thank you,

Charles

• 2. Re: Protect Console Service says its stopped
            Rookie

I was trying to avoid the old reboot option but no sweat. I'll notify my users or do it on downtime.

I appreciate the quick response.

Mike

• 3. Re: Protect Console Service says its stopped
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I agree Mike, I hate offering that option.  ☺

You could check the other items first and settle for the reboot option when all else fails.

Thanks,

Charles