8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 10:04 AM by cwinning

Overlooked Patches....

Rookie

Hi there,

I am using Shavlik Protect Standard 9.1.0  Build: 4334 on a W7, 64-bit with MS-Office 2010 installed.

I scan 'My Machine' and it lists 11 patches as missing (see Pic1 - below).

A reboot is scheduled and completes (normal countdown timer, etc).

Once the machine reboots I do a further scan of my machine but find it has no installed any of the 11 patches (see Pic2 - below).

Running Windows Update I am told that 'Windows is up to date'.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim.

Pic1:

Pic1.png

Pic2:

Pic2.png

• 1. Re: Overlooked Patches....
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Pic2 is from the Tracker view, could you post a pic of the scan result after the client machine rebooted?

Thanks,

Charles

• 2. Re: Overlooked Patches....
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

As requested, this new screenshot shows a scan after the reboot:

Pic3.png

Basically it shows that nothing has changed?

Regards,

Kim.

• 3. Re: Overlooked Patches....
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello Kim,

Thank you for the screenshot, this confirms nothing is actually being installed during the deployment.  The majority of the patches on the list are Office patches and I've seen where a corrupt install of Office would cause this type of issue.  Especially when you have two different versions of Office installed on the same client.  The remaining two patches have a history of failing to deploy due to environmental factor too. 

We need to take a look at logs from the client machine and the Protect server.  These logs will tell us what and how we are detecting on this machine and also what is happening when the deployment job tries to run.  Would it be possible for you to open a case with Support using this link:  https://support.shavlik.com/

Attention the case to Charles and include this information:

1.  From the Protect server, please following this guide to collect logs during a scan:  Gathering a DPD Trace

Zip these files and attach them to the case.

2.  From the client (target) machine, all the files with a .log extension in the C:\Windows\ProPatches and sub-folders.

Zip these files and attach them to the case.

I will take a look at the logs as soon as I see the case assigned to me.

Thank you,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Overlooked Patches....
                Rookie

Hi Charles,

I emailed my response on 16/07/2014 along with the requested dumps, logs, etc. in a ZIP file.

I was just wondering how your analysis was going?

Cheers,

Kim.

• 5. Re: Overlooked Patches....
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Kim,

I never received the your email on the 16th.  We have a size limitation of 5MB, was your attachment over that?  Judging from my email, it looks like the only thing I needed was and export of:  Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

Also, did you perform the other suggestions from my case response?

Thanks,

Charles

• 6. Re: Overlooked Patches....
                    Rookie

Hi Charles - I sent an email with a link to some files located in DropBox - did you get them?

Thanks,

Kim.

• 7. Re: Overlooked Patches....
                      cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

My apologies for the frustration this must be causing, this is usually a smooth process.

I've haven't received any responses on the case, no emails.  I've sent a few emails from the case though.

Are you receiving my emails from the case?  If no, then It's most likely and email filter issue on your side.

If yes, are you responding to those emails or creating new emails?  (there is email/case routing information in the subject line that is needed)

Are you able to log into the support portal and see your case?  You can add comments and attach files from there.

Send me a direct email with the link to DropBox, charles.winning@shavlik.com.  I will manually attach the information to the case and start working on it.

Thanks,

Charles

• 8. Re: Overlooked Patches....
                        cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I wanted to update this community post with the current status of this issue.  The logs and further information from the customer indicates the root cause of the issue is environmental and specific to one server in his environment.  The customer performed extensive research on the issue and believes the issue may a Windows Installer problem on Windows 7 64bit machines.  I tend to agree that some unknown issue on this server is the culprit.  Unfortunately advice found during this research have yet to correct the issue.  The good news is 3rd party patching through Protect continues to work without issue.

Thank you,

Charles