8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2014 10:55 AM by pcastafero

Unable to download third party updates

Nerano Rookie

I am unable to download third-party updates from my SCCM/WSUS server.

The configuration of our environment is as follows:

We have WSUS installed on the SCCM/Site server with the SUP role installed, we download and distribute various MS patches using ADR (automatic deployment rules) without any problems. I have installed Shavllik Patch on the server and have selected the products that we want to patch in the Products tab of the SUP components properties, the metadata for the third party patches (chrome, jre, firefox etc) are downloaded successfully and searchable in the Software Library---> All software Updates.

Problem:

I have created an ADR to deploy the published third party updates but the ADR fails

ADR_Fails.JPG

When launching the ADR manually and looking at the logfile Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\Logs\PatchDownLoader.log you see the following:

PatchDownloader_Log.JPG

The Contentsource where it is trying to download the file from is the local WSUS server and the files do not exist in the specified path. If you look at the metadata of an update in the Content Information it points to the local server which appears to be the problem.

Should it not be the path to Mozilla where it downloads the patch instead?

Firefox_Patch.JPG

I would appreciate if anyone can point me in the right direction, I am new to ShavLik Patch and cannot find any detailed information on how it actually works.

Regards Emile Risberg

• 1. Re: Unable to download third party updates
          MikeMcCollow Employee

Hi Emile,

Thanks for the detailed information.  I have a couple of questions that should lead us to a solution.

1. Can you confirm if the the cab file exists in the content folder location above on your WSUS server? If it does not, your issue is likely that the signing certificate is not in the proper stores on the WSUS server.  It should be in Trusted Root and Trusted publishers.  The softwaredistribution log on the WSUS server should confirm if this is the issue.  If this is the issue new updates you publish will work.  Our support team will have to help with existing updates you published and the cab file does not exist.
          2. If the cab file does exist and you are using a proxy then we have a proxy issue where the account running the ADR is not hitting the WSUS server.  This can happen if you configured the proxy settings in Config manager and you need to bypass local.

Thank you,

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to download third party updates
            Nerano Rookie

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your answer.

I wrote in my problem description that the files do not exist on the specified path on the WSUS server http://fqdn:8530/content/XX/*.cab but i was wrong. I checked again and if I search for a third party update

and look at the content information the files are there.

We do not use a proxy and have not enabled it in SCCM:

Proxy.JPG

I have found quite a few articles that describe a similar issue to the one I am having and there is a lot of mentions of proxy settings: http://scug.be/valerie/2012/11/20/config-manager-software-updates-download-failed/

I have tried changing the setting mentioned in this article ( proxy settings for local system context) by using a GPO but it has not made any difference.

Regards Emile Risberg

• 3. Re: Unable to download third party updates
              MikeMcCollow Employee

Hi Emile,

Sorry for the delay.

Can you paste the url to the cab file into a browser and get to it?

On the WSUS server can you send us the softwaredistribution log?

Thank you,

Mike McCollow

• 4. Re: Unable to download third party updates
                Nerano Rookie

Hi Mike,

I cannot access the cab file through a browser using the URL (but using the physical path works fine), please see screen dump below:

Cab_URL.JPG

I will send you the dsitribution log by email as I can´t find a way to do it here.

Regards

Emile Risberg

• 5. Re: Unable to download third party updates
                  Nerano Rookie

Hi Mike,

The problem is solved, when we installed the WSUS role on the SCCM server we specified a content path without a backslash, please see attached file:

Cab_URL_2.JPG

After changing the content path in the IIS to F:\ the ADR is now downloading successfully, the confusing part is that if you click on run in windows and paste F:%PATH% without backslash it actually finds the path correctly but not if you open windows explorer and paste the %PATH% with the missing backslash which is how I tested it.

In other words this was not a ShavLik issue but an underlying WSUS problem, sorry for wasting your time!

Regards

Emile Risberg

• 6. Re: Unable to download third party updates
                    MikeMcCollow Employee

Thanks Emile!

I appreciate you following up with how you resolved the issue.

Mike

• 7. Re: Unable to download third party updates
                      Rookie

Hi Mike,

We are having the exact same issue, the content information shows the source is "path" but the cab file does not exist there.01.jpg02.jpg

I have confirmed that the certificate is in trusted root and trusted publishers.

This does not affect all updates, only the latest adobe, java

Please assist

• 8. Re: Unable to download third party updates
                        Rookie

I am also experiencing the above issue. Has there been no resolution? I am currently working with support on this but not making progress.