3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 6:20 AM by cwinning

Difference between Shavlik Protect workstation and Server

Rookie

Hi,

I am planning to buy one more licese of Shavlik Protect, before that I would like to understand more about

i) differences between Shavlik Protect Standard Workstation and Shavlik Protect Standar server?

ii) the concept of seat licnesing

iii) the maximum number of machines that Shavlik Protect can scan.

Can anybody throw some light on the above topics?

Thanks

Srikanth Badireddy

• 1. Re: Difference between Shavlik Protect workstation and Server
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Shavlik Support.

"i) differences between Shavlik Protect Standard Workstation and Shavlik Protect Standard server?"

Shavlik Protect Standard:  http://www.shavlik.com/products/protect/standard-datasheet/

Shavlik Protect Advanced:  http://www.shavlik.com/products/protect/advanced-datasheet/

"ii) the concept of seat licensing"

When a patch deployment is performed, Shavlik Protect records the machine name in the database if it does not already exist.  From there, the number of remaining seats available for deployment is reduced by one for each target. If you elect to use Shavlik Protect Agent, each agent machine is allocated a license and also counts against the total number of license seats available. If the same machine is managed in both an agentless and agent-based manner, that machine is counted only once. Similarly, when scanning virtual machines, a machine is counted only once even if it is scanned both in online (powered on) mode and offline (powered off) mode. 

This article can explain it more:  http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-23091

"iii) the maximum number of machines that Shavlik Protect can scan."

Although there is no theoretical limit, we recommend 5000 machines or less per Protect console.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you,

Charles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Difference between Shavlik Protect workstation and Server
            Rookie

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the information, but I still have one question on workstation and server.

We purchased a vCenter Protect license, it has come with the following two different products and two different product keys

Shavlik Protect Standard Workstation Seats - 10

Shavlik Protect Standard Server Seats - 10.

I am wondering, is there any difference between these two, if so, when can I use workstation / Server?

Thanks for the help,

Srikanth

• 3. Re: Difference between Shavlik Protect workstation and Server
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

We split the seats between workstation and server class operating systems.  So lets say you have 20 total machines.  10 of these machines are workstation operating systems and the remaining 10 are server operating systems.  You would purchase licensing to match the 10 workstations and 10 servers you want to manage.

If you were to only purchase workstation seats your servers could not be managed.

If you were to purchase 20 server seats then both the servers and workstations could be managed since server seats can be used for workstations too when needed.

Please let me know if you need further information. 

The sales team can explain the option in more depth too.

Phone: 800-690-6911, option 1

Email: sales@shavlik.com

Thank you,

Charles