5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2014 8:45 AM by cwinning

Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"

Rookie

I just installed Protect version 9 (build 1182) onto a Win2012 server.  I was able to successfully scan a machine, and deployed all needed patches. When I pulled up the deployment tracker, however, all I see is that the patches are scheduled. It never moves beyond that point, and it has been 40 minutes.  When I look at the  machine, the hard drive light is flashing like crazy, so it's definitely working on something.  I have the remote registry service started on that machine (Win7x64). The deployment parameters indicate that patches should install immediately. What should I be looking for that might provide a clue as to what might be happening and how to correct?  Should I just reboot the machine or rescan to see if anything looks different?

• 1. Re: Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"
          cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

One thing you need to know about the Tracker is, incomplete update  to the Tracker does not necessarily indicate a deployment issue.  You want to keep an out for specific statuses like 'Failed'.

Here are a list of the Tracker statuses:

http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-2158

In your case, the target machines are not able to send Tracker updates to the Protect server.  All Tracker statuses up to 'Scheduled' do not require any communication from the target machine, but the remaining statuses past scheduled will.  Here are a few things to take a look at.

Go to Tools -> Options -> Deployment and verify the Deployment Tracker Address is set to something routable from the target machine to the Protect server. 

Verify port 3121 is open from the target machine back to the Protect server.  I would suggest using telnet or a program like Putty.

Make sure you are using a Deployment Template with 'Send Tracker Status' enabled.

FYI: The Tracker may no update once the communication chain is broken.  A re-scan of the machines will tell you f the patches have been installed

Thank you,

Charles

• 2. Re: Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"
            Rookie

Thanks, Charles. I will look at that.  I did see that my machine rebooted, so the patches must have been installing.

One thing that may or may not help is that the installation onto this server was actually a migration from an older server.  The name and IP address of the new server are different from that of the old server.  Could that be part of the problem?

• 3. Re: Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"
              cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

I agree, the patches most likely installed without issue.

It's possible, in addition to the items from my previous post, you should also go to Tools -> Console Alias Editor and verify the following are on the list:

Include information for both the old and new Protect servers

FQDN

NETBIOS

IP Address

That will help with communication if there is any remnants of the old setup.

Thanks,

Charles

• 4. Re: Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"
                Rookie

I went into deployment options and changed the Deployment Tracker Address from the server IP to the server name.  My next deployment is now showing patches executing.

Thanks for your help!

Donny

• 5. Re: Deployment Tracker stuck in "Scheduled"
                  cwinning CommunityTeam

Hello,

My pleasure, I'm glad to see the Tracker working for you.

Thanks,

Charles