3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 9:00 AM by adamg23

Distribution Servers Across Two Windows Domains

Rookie

I currently have two Shavlik Protect servers, one in Domain A and one in Domain B.  I want the server in Domain B to pull the patches down from the Distrubtion Server in Domain A.  Domain A and B do not trust each other and I have not set up a Distribution Server before so am wondering if this is possible in my environment?

• 1. Re: Distribution Servers Across Two Windows Domains
          SupportEmployee

Hello,

I am not certain if domain trust will be a problem here - it would be best to test this out.

I would suggest testing this way-

Set up the share meant to be used for the distribution server on your server in Domain A, then test out trying to connect to it to copy files from the server in Domain B. Are you able to connect to the share from Domain B? If you can successfully copy files down, then you should be able to use it for the purpose that you're setting it up.

I hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Distribution Servers Across Two Windows Domains
            Rookie

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it would be a problem or not.  However, if I were to manually go on server in Domain B and try to connect to a UNC share on server in Domain A, it will prompt me for credentials which I can manually enter, but that doesn't help Shavlik grabbing the files.  I read this doc:

http://www.shavlik.com/onlinehelp/Protect90HTMLHelp/Configuring_A_New_Or_Existing_Distribution_Server.htm

In the bottom green/white chart, second box "Credentials used by the console to synchronize" it says:

Access to a distribution server requires authentication. Select the credential (the domain\user name and password pair) used by the console to authenticate to the distribution server. To define a new credential click New.

Only shared credentials are contained in this list. If the credential you are looking for is not listed it probably means it is not defined as a shared credential. See Defining Credentials for information on how to share a credential.

So it should be as easy as defining a new credential which exists in a different domain?

• 3. Re: Distribution Servers Across Two Windows Domains
              SupportEmployee

js wrote:

So it should be as easy as defining a new credential which exists in a different domain?

Yeah you can just add a new credential via Manage > Credentials or by clicking 'New' next to the box where you add credentials for the distribution server - just make sure to enter it in the format domain\user with a Domain A user.

1 of 1 people found this helpful