2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 9:34 AM by troy.wilcoxjr

Success scripting VMware agent as custom patch?

Rookie

Good morning all,

I was wondering if anyone has had any sucess scripting/packaging the VMware View Agent as a custom patch.

We just went from 5.0 to 5.2 and need to now upgrade 100+ manual VM's. I was wondering if there was a way to use a custom patch to accomplish this.

It's just a pain since you have to always go in the order of VM Tools then agent. Luckily you can upgrade tools without having to uninstall the agent using Shavlik.

Please provide some suggestions!

Thanks,
      Troy

• 1. Re: Success scripting VMware agent as custom patch?
          SupportEmployee

Hi,

I don't have a copy of the VMware View agent installer, but from the info I found here:

http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp#com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-3096DA8B-034B-435B-877E-5D2B18672A95.html

It looks like the install directory should be %ProgramFiles%\VMware\VMware View\Agent.

If you install the latest version of this program, then check to see what file(s) are updated - that would probably be the easiest way to figure out what you should use for your detection logic. You'd probably want to base it on whatever the main exe is for it (I'm guessing it's probably something like viewagent.exe or the like).

It looks like there might be some additional switches or commands you may need to specify - I'm not sure if this will limit you from using custom patch deployment in Protect, but you can set additional switches within the 'Deployment Information' tab of the custom patch rules.

I'm guessing it would help to refer to the VMware view documentation under the section:

VMware View Administration > Creating and Preparing Virtual Machines > Install View Agent Silently

I hope that helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Success scripting VMware agent as custom patch?
            Rookie

Thank's! I have the command line install configured with all the switches per the View documentation.

I guess I was looking to see if anyone had has success with the Agent + Patch editor since I don't have much experience using it yet.