1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 9:53 AM by adamg23

Patch Download Bandwidth throttling

Rookie

Is there a way, within Shavlik Protect, to throttle the download of patches from Vendor sites?  Whenever I manually run a scan with auto-deploy during business hours, the Patch Downloads saturate our Internet connection. 

• 1. Re: Patch Download Bandwidth throttling
          SupportEmployee

Hi,

Currently there isn't any built in method to throttle the download of patch files within Protect. Here are a few suggestions, though:

1) Submit a feature request at http://shavlik.featureidea.com. This will go to our product management team for review.

2) You could look into setting up scheduled scans with autodeploy to run after regular business hours.

3) I am guessing that the actual download isn't the only problem, but also the copying of the files to each of the target systems. It would help to look into using a distribution server for deployment. You can find more info on using a distribution server within Protect's help files. These would be good ones to start with:

Help > Contents > Common Tasks > Configuring Program Operations > Using Distribution Servers > Why Use a Distribution Server?

Help > Contents > Common Tasks > Configuring Program Operations > Using Distribution Servers > Configuring Distribution Servers

I hope that helps you out.