7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 10:38 AM by WebMattR

Patch from Command Line?

WebMattR Rookie

Does anyone know if it's possible to deploy patches from the command line? I found hfcli.exe and have successfully scanned from there, but I see no option to deploy patches from there.

• 1. Re: Patch from Command Line?
          SupportEmployee

Deployment from commandline is not currently supported with Protect. Is there a specific reason you're attempting to set up the patch scan and deployment via commandline?

Automated scan and deployment can easily be set up through the Protect application, or by using Protect agents so you may be adding unecessary work in setting up from commandline.

• 2. Re: Patch from Command Line?
            WebMattR Rookie

Well, I want to simply add patching as the final portion of my post-build script, so that I can verify that everything I build for our environment is up to date on security patches without requiring any human interaction.

And I saw the agent component, but we can't have our machines continually scanning and patching. That'd be problematic for us. Namely, me.

• 3. Re: Patch from Command Line?
              WebMattR Rookie

Do you know if there's any chance it will be? That's kind of a gigantic buzzkiller for us, as we're working towards automating all of our server builds from start to finish, and having to manually patch the servers prior to them being available for use is the opposite of what we're aiming for. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more clamor for this as a feature.

• 4. Re: Patch from Command Line?
                SupportEmployee

It's possible using our packager with the SDK platform. You could look into it if it's really something you require.

More info here:

http://www.shavlik.com/products/patch-sdk/

Otherwise you could submit a feature/change request for Protect here: http://shavlik.featureidea.com

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Patch from Command Line?
                  WebMattR Rookie

Thanks Adam. Is there anything you can do to encourage them to contact me sooner, rather than later? I went through that process after spotting a reference to it in a previous thread on this topic, but received no contact from Shavlik. I've submitted another request to be contacted.

• 6. Re: Patch from Command Line?
                    SupportEmployee

Do you by chance have the feature request "RE" number that you were given from submitting the request? I'll try to make sure product management gets in contact with you.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Patch from Command Line?
                      WebMattR Rookie

There wasn't one? Punching my information into the download now just gives a "Thank you for your interest. A Shavlik Rep will contact you soon" message. I can contact our Softchoice rep, if that's the best way to go.