1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 9:12 AM by chrisgoettl

Patches installed and Effectively Installed Patches are totaling

Rookie

Looking at my patch management Executive Summary reports prior to August of 2013, there were 3 descriptions that appeared under the "Patch Status" heading...Missing Patches, Missing SP(s), and Patches Installed.  These 3 items were added together to form a total, and that makes perfect sense to me.  However, any scans that I have done from August 2013-Current have had 4 descriptions under the "Patch Status" section....Missing Patches, Missing SP(s), Patches Installed, and Effectively Installed Patches.  The issue I'm having is that "Patches Installed" and "Effectively Installed Patches" are being totaled together, which shouldn't be the case.  For a more visual representation see below:

Prior to Aug 2013                                          Aug 2013-current

Missing Patches........354                             Missing Patches..........................139

Missing SP(s)............78                               Missing SP(s).............................139

Patches Installed.......17568                          Patches Installed.........................21803

Effectively Installed Patches..........21803

Total..........................18000                         Total.............................................43884

More or less at the end of July we had a total of ~18,000 total patches and at the end of August were showing 40,000 patches.  Is there anything that can be done to NOT total Patches Installed and Effectively Installed Patches?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Patches installed and Effectively Installed Patches are totaling
          chrisgoettl SupportEmployee

Ruppy,

Thanks for the feedback.  Effectively Installed Patches are always a place to split hairs.  Some of our community agree with you as EI patches are something they definitely see as separate as they are typically replaced by newer patches.  Some of the community also sees this as valuable audit data.  It all comes down to the way you are trying to represent data to stakeholders.  That being said here is what I can offer today:

Immediate Solution: Do not include EI patches in your assessment that you plan to report on.  If it clouds your reports filter it out of your typical assessment and only run a scan including EI patches quarterly or something along those lines. 

Interim Solution: In the next release of Shavlik Protect (9.1) we will be including a number of reporting views that will allow admins to create custom reports through RDL reporting tools, Excel, etc.  This would allow you to create customized variations of the reports you are using today to allow for more flexible filtering and customization of reports. 

Long Term Solution (roadmap disclaimer) I am always reluctant to share too much about longer term roadmap plans as they are always in flux.  We are an agile development team and as we receive feedback from our customers and the market we can change direction to react.  That being said, my long term vision today is as follows:

Continue to expand on reporting views to allow for flexible reporting structure (we have a lot of SQL savvy customers who just want the ability to create their own reports with the confidence that upgrade will not break them).  Change from in product 'canned' reporting to RDL driven reports that can be imported from the community or custom built reports you have created in house.  Have a legacy report pack (again RDL) that you can continue you import and use.  Provide a community discussion area for our users to discuss and share their own creations.  Drive more common report request in periodic RDL report releases.  Ratings would be community based and allow our community to identify the highest priorities and drive priority for our content teams to create new reports. 

Chris Goettl

Product Manager

Shavlik Protect Team, LANDesk