6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2013 11:37 AM by MikeMcCollow

Importing updates

Kaceks Rookie

Why every time when I import Shavlik updates it asks me to overwrite newer updates with older ones?

• 1. Re: Importing updates
          chrisgoettl SupportEmployee

For SCUPdates this has to do with the way the data is published through SCUP.  Most 3rd party products have releases addressing multiple patches instead of individual patches as Microsoft does.  Each new Java update, for instance, replaces the old one, which is why this occurs.  We are working on some improvements for this experience that should make a huge difference for you. 

• 2. Re: Importing updates
            Kaceks Rookie

Mostly SCUPdates want to overwrite older ones not the newest. I see this behavior for Skype and Adobe Flash. Is it correct that I choose to not overwrite all?

• 3. Re: Importing updates

It would only be replacing older updates.  Overwrite all will update the newer items.  If there is no update for a product it would stay the same. 

• 4. Re: Importing updates
                Kaceks Rookie

Here is picture of what I mean

Capture.PNG

Why do you want to overwrite newer with older?

• 5. Re: Importing updates

I think I understand what occured now.  I also confirmed with one of our SCUP guru's to make sure. 

We updated the Skype update in 2012.  Since then you likely mad ea change in February this year that updated the imported catalog.  Even if you went into the Skype package and saved it the created date would have been updated.  If you made a change that you know of then do not overwrite.  If you didn't overwrite and this won't occur the next time you import. 

• 6. Re: Importing updates
                    MikeMcCollow Employee

Hi Kaceks,

We are looking for input on a future version of SCUPdates.  I would like to get your feedback on the current product and what we can do to improve.  If your are interested in providing feedback please send an email to protect-help@shavlik.com with your contact information.

Thanks,

Mike