3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 6:34 AM by chrisgoettl

EOL Patches

Rookie

I have a few people that I cannot convince to upgrade. Unfortunatly, they are influentual and get their way. They insist on using Office XP from 2002. I was also tasked with getting a couple of new computers for these folks. Now I can't use Shavlik to install the patches because the programs are EOL. There are about 100 patches to install.

I have the patches downloaded but I cannot get them to install using Shavlik. I was hoping someone could give me an answer on how to get around this problem. Do I put them in a folder and point a install job to the folder? Or what?

I'm sure someone can tell me how to do this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: EOL Patches
          chrisgoettl SupportEmployee

@fwilburn we had to remove support for these as there is a dependency on an old utility called ohotfix to execute these patches.  We worked around this dependency by downloading and delivering the ohotfix.exe to the target as well.  With Microsoft's EOL of this version of Office we had to make a choice of continuing to support even though it could break on a moments notice or drop support so we did not end in a bad user experience.  They did the same with a support file called qchain which caused us some headaches so we were proactive about any office products with a dependency on ohotfix. 

One thing to remind them of is even if you can push everything that was released up to the EOL you would need to open a extended support contract through Microsoft to keep the EOLed versions patched.  Every critical office patch that releases likely is exploitable on the older versions as well, but no patch was released.  They are a liability for you at this point.  At a glance there have been 2 Critical Office patches released this year already.  Neither of which were released on that edition. 

To get around this you would have to create customer patches for those to be deployable. 

• 2. Re: EOL Patches
            Rookie

So, there is no way to downlaod the EOL patches through shavlik. I need a definitive answer for management.

Thanks

• 3. Re: EOL Patches
              chrisgoettl SupportEmployee

No there is not.