7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 12:52 PM by dpaul

Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes

Rookie

There is a problem installing the Adobe Reader 11.0.3 patch on Windows 7 64-bit. I am using the latest XML.    The 11.0.3 patch deploys and installs correctly on Windows 7 32-bit.  The XML detects the missing patch.  The patch is deployed to the ProPatches folder on the 64-bit target machine.  But the patch does not install correctly on a 64-bit machine.  After the 64-bit  machine reboots, I initiate a new scan and the 11.0.3 patch is still missing on 64-bit machines

Patch AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp is deployed on 64-bit machines.

When I try to run the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp manually on a 64-bit machine from the ProPatches folder, I receive the following error message:

The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be upgraded may be missing, or the upgrade patch may update a different version of the program.  Verify that the program to be upgraded exists on your computer and that you have the correct upgrade patch.

The only way I can get the patch to install correctly is to download a fresh copy of the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp from Adobe's website.  I run this patch and it installs correctly.  When I re-run a scan, the scan shows the patch installed.

With that said, it seems like that the file vCenter deploys has a problem.  Could you please look into this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
          Apprentice

Hello,

In response to your question. This appears to be related to Bulletin ID APSB13-15 for the 11.0.3 adobe reader.  The Protect system checks for two criteria to be met in order to offer this patch as missing.

The registry key of:

HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsVurrentVersionUninstall{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-AB000000001} = DisplayVersion = 11.0.03

and the AcroRd32.dll in the %adobe11path% be less than version 11.0.3.37

If either of these two items are not met then we consider this patch to be missing and we offer it as a missing patch.

Additionally I was able to recreate the error you are getting by not having the Adobe Reader installed and starting the patch. The patch indicates that the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp file is not applicable because there is no existing version on the machine. To confirm that the correct version of Adobe reader is on the machine please run a Security Patch scan with the default security patch scan template.

adobe11.0.3_error.PNG

I would also suggest creating a support case for this if you are still experiencing the issue.

For support please contact us at 1866-407-5279.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
            Rookie

Thanks.  I can successfully apply the 11.0.3 patch by downloading the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp directly from Adobe's website.  I therefore think the problem is with the file that is being deployed.  When comparing the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp file vCenter deploys with the AdbeRdrUpd11003_MUI.msp from Adobe's website, I do see there is a revision number difference.

vCenter: {AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40011003}{AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40011001}{AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40011002}

Adobe Website: {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-2550-7A8C40011003}{AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-2550-7A8C40011001}{AC76BA86-7AD7-0000-2550-7A8C40011002}

Is there a way that the current file can be replaced with the Adobe file?

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
              Apprentice

I am not convinced that this is an improper installer issue. In order to complete the testing we would require a support request so we can obtain the logs, validate versions, and present it to our data team.

The data team is the only way of adjusting the download location/file in the Shavlik data, and in order to change it we have to complete the steps I mentioned.

If you have additional machines that this is affecting, I would suggest creating a support request so we can start to present this to our data team if it turns out there is an issue.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
                Rookie

Could you please create a case for me and send me the information of what data you would like me to collect?

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
                  Apprentice

Unfortunately I do not have your contact information available.  I would need this to create a Support Request.

I do not know if you feel comfortable with posting this information, I would suggest calling in and creating a quick support ticket.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
                    Rookie

Can you send me a private message or some other form of secure contact?

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 11.0.3 Install issue on 64-bit OSes
                      Rookie

What was the resolution for this??  I am having the same problem