5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 3:11 PM by danh2010

How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?

Rookie

I was told that some patches may have 2 entries: a installer and an uninstaller.

The difference was that these might be hotfixes that have not yet been incorporated into a service pack

If this is correct, how do I know which is which type.  If I have an auto deploy policy, then scan1 will install the patch and scan2 will uninstall it.  I would think there might be a safeguard for this?

Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thanks,

Dan

• 1. Re: How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?
          Apprentice

Hello Dan,

There are indeed some patches like the MS12-A06 and MS12-A04 patches that have installers and uninstallers. If you have auto deploy enabled then it will install one patch and then detect that the patch is installed and try to uninstall it next time. We have had issues were clients are trying to keep a low patch count and patches like this keep showing up.

The solution is to create a patch group for patches like this that have the patch you want to exclude, and then in your scan template, skip the patches in that patch group.  These are what we call On/Off patches, and require the admin to choose what patch they would like in their environment, and exclude the other in their patch group.

Please let us know if this answers your questions, or if you need additional information on how to create patch groups and exclude them.

Thank you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?
            Rookie

OK, that i sright on the money - Thank You!

How do I know which is the uninstaller?  Is it flagged differently?  I assume I would need to know which is the uninsatllee in order to add it to the patch group.

• 3. Re: How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?
              Apprentice

Dan,

The patches that have an installer/uninstaller are specifically listed as "Security tools". An example of this would be MS12-A04 it has Q2719615 (the installer) and Q2719615U (the uninstaller), one or the other of these will always show as missing if they are both scanned for. This would happen if you had a template that scanned for security tools without any other filtering.

Neither a WUScan or Security Patch Scan would have this issue.

• 4. Re: How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?
                Apprentice

When they are detected, the patch summary will indciate the functionality of the patch and what the patch will do. I would look at MS12-A04/A06 and see what the patch summary says about them. One of the patches will indciate that it removes the functionality and the other adds it.

It is going to be unqiue to each patch on how the vendor words its functionality.

• 5. Re: How do I read the BUlletin ID or Qnumber?
                  Rookie

That is perfect!  Thank you again.