3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2013 11:07 AM by adamg23

CPU Spike to 100%

Rookie

I have noticed on some systems where I have to deploy alot of patches using Protect, the CPU spikes to 100% for a long time on TrustedInstaller.exe.  Installing 30+ patches takes almost 5 hours.  If I do the same thing using Windows Update from the Internet, there is no long spike in he CPU and the deployment finishes under an hour.  These are VM's running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 servers with no patches installed.  I have rebooted before installing any patches but it doesn't seem to help and I also tried a freshly built system.  I am running Protect Advanced 8.0.2 build 4027 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1 with 4 GB Ram and 2 CPU's.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: CPU Spike to 100%
          SupportEmployee

Do you know what patches or service pack is installing when this happens? Has the priority or afinity for the trustedinstaller process been modified, and do you get any errors showing up in event logs?

• 2. Re: CPU Spike to 100%
            Rookie

I haven't been able to narrow it down to any particular patch.  It is not a service pack becuase I do them separately.  Yes, I did lower the affinity down to low and the odd thing is the server is functional even thought the CPU is 100%.  Looking at the event viewer I can see many, many entries for Servicing.  Do you think it is possible that one of the patches requires the system to reboot before doing the other patches and since it doesn't it slows it down?

If I do reboot in the middle of it deploying, does it pick it right back up or do I have to reschedule?

I would think if it does a scan, it should pick up wether or not a patch should be deployed.

Here are some of the event viewer messages:

• Servicing has required reboot to complete the operation of setting package KB971513(Update) into Install Requested(Install Requested) state
            • Servicing has required reboot to complete the operation of setting package KB2604105(Security Update) into Install Requested(Install Requested) state
            • Windows Servicing identified that package KB980842(Security Update) is not applicable for this system
            • 3. Re: CPU Spike to 100%
              SupportEmployee

If you do a reboot in the midst of the deployment it will not continue where it left off.

Do you have any superseded patches listed as missing in Protect prior to running this deployment? If so, they may be failing out, but I'm still not certain why it would spike the CPU to 100%.

1 of 1 people found this helpful