7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 8:11 AM by chrisgoettl

GetRebootTime issue

Rookie

I'm new to Protect so forgive me if this is something that has been dicussed someplace else.

I downloaded and Approved the IT Scripts GetRebootTime. I attempted to run this on a remote server across our Domain WAN using Domain Admin credentials and received the error below.

Activity:               Get-WmiObject
      Reason:                 UnauthorizedAccessException
      Target:                
      Exception:              Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
      StackTrace:                at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
         at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
         at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
         at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
         at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
         at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetWmiObjectCommand.BeginProcessing()
         at System.Management.Automation.Cmdlet.DoBeginProcessing()
         at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.DoBegin()
      Line in error:          Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName $ST_ComputerName -Credential $ST_Credential
      Offset in line:         14

Is there something more that needs to be configured on our Protect server or remote server to get this script to work?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: GetRebootTime issue
          Rookie

I am not familiar with protect or this issue, but it may be beneficial to rule out the protect application by running a similar WMI query against your target windows guests manually.  Keep in mind that WMI will not communicate with linux (of course) and may need extra patching on older Windows operating systems to work.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/bshukla/archive/2010/12/09/powershell-script-to-report-uptime.aspx

• 2. Re: GetRebootTime issue
            Rookie

I've run a similar scenario with a personal Powershell script to query the last reboot (separate from Protect) and came close to the same issue. So, I'm beginning to think this might be a remote server issue or a WAN issue; more than likely a remote server issue. I can get onto the remote server and run the same WMI query back to a remote server here at HQ and have no issues. So, again, this might be a specific issue on this remote server.

• 3. Re: GetRebootTime issue
              SupportEmployee

First thing: Make sure to review the ITscripts requirements in Protect under Help > Contents > IT Management Tools > ITScripts > ITScripts Requirements

Can you perform a full asset scan on that same system successfully with Protect? If it errors out it may give you more idea why it can't connect with WMI. Also if the asset scan fails to perform a hardware asset scan it might help to refer to this article: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2008267

• 4. Re: GetRebootTime issue
                Rookie

No, not able to get a full scan, even though it states it is successful, I see that it errors at WMI during the scan steps.

'Cannot connect to WMI service.  It might be stopped or firewalled.'

I've completed a 'enable-psremoting' and even made sure Windows firewall is completely turned off and the WMI service is running. I guess I am going to have to do more WMI troubleshooting.

• 5. Re: GetRebootTime issue
                  Rookie

Here's another tool you can play with while working your firewall/permissions issue afflicting your WMI:

http://www.paessler.com/tools/wmitester

PS - On an unrelated note, please keep in mind that PSRemoting and WMI can be mutually exclusive (i.e. generally speaking, there is no need to enable psremoting in order to use WMI against a target server.  Of course, once you do you can get tricky with it.  But not required.

• 6. Re: GetRebootTime issue
                    chrisgoettl SupportEmployee

As grasshopper pointed out the psremoting is not required for this.  The asset scan completed with errors.  The asset scan has two parts. The software scan is not WMI based, but the hardware is.  Adam was having you do that to confirm it was definitely WMI that was causing the issue.  You can try the telnet test from the KB Adam sent to confirm that 135 is available.  If that is open and WMI service is started then we will likely have to know more about your situation.  OS of the target? Is it domain joined? Can you perform this script against any machines in your environment (or an asset hardware scan)?

Asset scans require port 135, while patch normal scans do not.

1. Verify if Port 135 is listening on the Target Machine.
                    2. Verify if you are able to successfully Telnet to port 135. For example, Telnet MachineName 135. You can use the IP address instead of the machine name for this test.
                    3. Check if you receive a Connection Refused error or see a blank screen with a flashing cursor. The blank screen with a flashing cursor indicates success.
                    4. If firewalls are enabled, - port 135 and other required scanning ports must have an exception.

Regards,

Chris Goettl

• 7. Re: GetRebootTime issue
                      Rookie

Thanks, Gents, for the input.

After further troubleshooting and testing with domain policies in our environment, it seems there were some firewall settings in our Default Domain Policy that were blocking any type of WMI query. After making some changes (basically just turned Windows firewall off completely for all Profiles in Windows 2008), I was able to complete a full asset scan and launch a script on my test server.

Windows firewall will get you every time.