4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 11:29 AM by DWMartino

How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?

Rookie

How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?

The intention is to create a patch group of all Windows OS patches available at the end of the week of patch Tuesday, then use it to scan and patch all dev machines that weekend. The following weekend after testing is complete, the same patch group will be used to scan and patch staging. One more week and  more testing, then same patch group will be used to test production. 

The trouble is that I am not finding a method to capture the patch set and hold it static through the cycle.

• 1. Re: How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?
          Apprentice

This a relavitively straight forward task to comlpete. Before you create the patch group please ensure you have downloaded the latest XML so that all the new patches are included. You would also need to update the patch group each time with the latest patches before scanning for these patches.

I have attached a document to this reply that will assist you in creating a patch group.

If you have any further questions please dont hestiate to contact:

Toll Free: 1-866-407-5279

International: 1-651-407-5279

Email: Shavlik-Support@vmware.com

• 2. Re: How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?
            Rookie

Please note, what I am trying to do is to capture all patches available for a certain "Product" on a certain date. As an example, as it is now we use a scan template with "OS" checked and nothing else. We can run this scan agains the machines, but what I do not see is any way to make the patches scanned remain the same for the next 25 days. Are you saying that the only way to do this is to manually check off form the list in the patch group build process?

Please note, we add machines all the time. My goal is to put all OS patches available from the beginning of time until each Patch Tuesday into a group to use until the next Patch Tuesday. It seems that there would be a simple method, maybe I am missing it?

Thanks,

David

• 3. Re: How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?
              Apprentice

Our Data Team usually release an XML update twice a week so the list of patches requried by a machine even if filtered by OS could change from week to week before every patch Tuesday. If you want to keep the product list the same betweene each patch Tuesday without altering it I think it would be best to only manually tick off the patches that are required in the same.

Another alternative is to disable to automatic download of the XML. You would then need to download the XML file manually. This would keep the product list static for the your desired specified period. To switch this off go to Tools >>> Deselect Auto-Update Definitions. Also ensure to go to Tools >>> Options >>>> Definitions >>>> Ensure to Deslect Auto-update if it is ticked.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I create a patch group of all available patches from a category on a certain date?
                Rookie

As it seems to be an industry standard practice to patch test machines, then test, then patch production, I'll admit that I am a bit surprised that what I am trying to do is not simple. That said, I do feel a little better in that I was thinking that I should have been able to figure out a way to do it, but could find no guidance in the documentation. Thanks for you assistance.