1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 9:41 AM by SupportKM

    Update Failed: Error loading XML document; System Error -2146697210

    Rookie

      I am attempting to get all of my agents cleaned up and reporting correctly.  This is a new install of vCenter Protect and my first time using the product.  When I log onto many of my servers and open the VMware vCenter Protect Agent the Overview screen shows a Red X and no patch scan data available.

       

      Yesterday on of my 2008 R2 servers showed that and I called support, the gentlemen on the other end advised me to reinstall the agent after we found in Programs and Features there was a vCenter Protect Agent but no vCenter Protect Patch Engine.  After the reinstall Patch Engine showed up and the Overview tab showed a green check with current details (after a few minutes)

       

      Today I am working on two other servers, 1 is 2008 R2 the other is 2003 and I've reinstalled the agent several times and stil no patch engine in Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs).  Netiher one will get a green check either.  Under Operations monitor I get 100% successfully installed agent for the 2003 server I'm deploying to, shows Agent Check-In failed for the 2008 R2 server.

       

      On the 2003 server I tried to run Update Agent binaries in the Agent and received the error Update failed: Error loading XML document from C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataShavlik TechnologiesAgent DataProtect.manifest.xml: System error: -2146697210.

       

      I guess I'm wondering how do I get green checks and successful updates on these boxes.  There are a lot in my environment that have issues similar to this.

       

      Also it would be spectacular if someone could get the content of the old Shvlik forums published somewhere.  I keep googling for the answers and find some reference to errors or situations and they are hosted on the old Shavlik forums that unfortunately redirect to a VMware communities site that doesn't include that information.

       

      Thanks,
      Shane

        • 1. Re: Update Failed: Error loading XML document; System Error -2146697210
          Apprentice

          Hello Shane,


          Typically when you see partial installs of agents like this it means the agent can't access the additional components it needs.  The agent does this either over the internet or by connecting to a distribution server.  This is determined in your agent policy, on the general settings tab under Engine and Data download location.

           

          If you are using a distribution server the first thing I'd do is make sure the agent machine can properly connect to the distribution share by entering the UNC path in windows explorer.  If you are going directly to the internet it's most likely improper proxy settings in internet explorer which are impeding access to the agent binaries on shavlik.com


          The log files are a good way to determine the exact cause, they are located in the following places:

           

          -Vista, 2008, & Win7: C:ProgramDataShavlik TechnologiesLogs

          -Windows XP & 2003: C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataShavlik TechnologiesLogs
          Registrationlog.txt is a good one to look at for issues with agent installs.  If you want to post some log files or excerpts I can take a look, or you can contact support directly and one of us will assist.

          Thanks!
          Kevin McTague