6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 8:21 AM by ealcott

Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates

Rookie

When deploying a custom Patch the target machines shows the following entries in the windows event log in this order.

Information

The description for Event ID 12377 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:  Leaving vendor downloads, patches remaining: 1.

Multiple minutes pass between these two entries as i believe nothing more will happen untill i awknolege the reboot request from vCenter Protect. The rest of the entries appear with in 2 seconds of each other.

Information

The description for Event ID 8197 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:  Stopping IIS and SQL

Error

The description for Event ID 8192 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
      If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
      The following information was included with the event: 
      Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates.

Information

The description for Event ID 8197 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:  Rebooting machine

information

The description for Event ID 8197 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:  Starting IIS and SQL

Error

The description for Event ID 8193 from source ShavlikPatchMgmt cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event. The following information was included with the event:  Failed to start SQL to apply security updates. 

The deployment tracker on the vCenter Protect server says the target machien is pending a reboot but once rebooted states "reboot may be required / installation failed".

The patch is being detected missing correctly and i can run the patch with its console commands manually just fine, however given what i have seen it appears my patch isnt even trying to run?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Eric

• 1. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
          Apprentice

Eric, there are a few potential failure points to assess when a deployment isn't happening as expected.

First, you want to find out the point the deployment failed at, to do so, look at c:windowspropatchesinstall on the target machine and look at the contents.  There should be a HIS or BAT file timestamped with the time you pushed the patches out to your machine.  If the file is BAT, then the deployment didn't run.  This could point to an issue with the scheduler on the target machine, or a problem connecting to the distribution server if you are using one. 

If you see an HIS file, it means the deployment ran successfully as far as our scheduler can tell.  If this is the case the first thing I'd do is pore over the windows event viewer logs for signs of failures.  The log excerpts you posted are not necessarily errors, our scheduler will often give these events.  I tend to gravitate towards msi installer events as if the deployment ran the most common sticking point is in the patch itself throwing an error.

If you still don't see any signs of what went wrong, I'd try running the patch manually to see if it succeeds, often when running a problem patch manually you'll see it's throwing an error that's being suppressed by quiet mode when Protect executes the patch.

If none of this helps, please give support a call and we can troubleshoot this further.

Thank you,

Kevin McTague

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
            Rookie

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply.

I am getting .his files in the propatch directory, however the software is still not installing.  I have been able to successfully run the patch manually with no popup that protect would be supressing.  However my patch is a .exe and even when it manually runs there are no entries in the eventlog to look for.

Im trying to get a hold of the software developer for our patch and see if it has its own log directory that we can check.

eric

• 3. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
              Rookie

I was able to turn on the extra logging option on the installer.

When running the installer manually using the command line arguements with logging and silent install a log file is generated and the installation completes.

When running the installer from a deployment with vCenter Protect no log file is generated at all, leading me to think that the .exe is never beeing excicuted.

Eric

• 4. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
                rbabcock Apprentice

Does your custom patch use any network resources?  When it's run as a deployment it runs as a local account that probably doesn't have rights to network shares.

• 5. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
                  Rookie

It does exisit on a network share, I thought (was hoping) that it either used the creditials ive assigned to the machine or it coped the patch to the vCenter Protect server when you import the patch.

So is the case where i need to setup a distribution server to hold custom patches?

Eric

• 6. Re: Failed to stop SQL to apply security updates
                    Rookie

I was able to fix the issue by creating a folder on the vCenter protect server and put my patch file and xml file in that folder. The patch now deploys correctly.

Thanks,
                    Eric