Support for Paint.NET has been added to Shavlik Protect 9.2 and Patch for Windows Server 9.3.x March 7th, 2017.
Paint.NET patches don't allow for out-of-the-box deployments through Protect. The x64\x86 .MSI patch installers for Paint.NET need to be extracted from the installer .EXE supplied by the vendor. These instructions will walk you through the patch download, installer extraction, .MSI installer renaming and placing the patches in your \Patches repository.
Downloading the vendor installer and extracting the .MSI installers:
- Manually download the paint.net.4.0.13.install.zip: http://www.dotpdn.com/downloads/pdn.html
- Extract the paint.net.4.0.13.install.zip to a folder.
- Open a CMD Prompt and navigate to the extracted folder.
- Run this command to extract the .MSI installers: paint.net.4.0.13.install.exe /createmsi
- The installers will be extracted and placed in a PaintDotNetMsi folder on the Desktop.
Renaming the .MSI installers and moving them to the \Patches Repository:
- You can verify the name of the patch Protect is expecting by navigating to View > Patches in Protect.
- Remove the check-mark from Critical and Important in the upper left pane.
- Search for paint.Net and expand the Product to see the patch(es).
- Highlight the patch and click on the Patch Information tab in the lower pane.
- The name of the patch will be to the right of the Download... button.
6. Rename the patch to match what Protect is looking for:
- Rename PaintDotNet_x64.msi to PaintDotNet4.0.13_x64.msi
- Rename PaintDotNet_x86.msi to PaintDotNet4.0.13_x86.msi
7. Move the renamed patches to your patch repository.
- The default location is C:\ProgramData\LANDESK\Shavlik Protect\Console\Patches
- You can verify your location by navigating to Tools > Operations > Downloads and view the Patch Download Directory.
Protect is now able to deploy the patches.
Patch for Windows Server 9.3.x