This document is to discuss how to add a VM template to a Machine Group for agentless scanning when you cannot see the vCenter Server in the Hosted Virtual Machines tab in a machine group.
NOTE: If you have added a vCenter host into Shavlik Protect and are able to see it in the Machine Group's Hosted Virtual Machines tab, you will be able to add the VM Template directly from the Machine Group.
NOTE: If you can only see your ESXi Hypervisors in the the Hosted Virtual Machines tab in the machine group then you will have to add the VM templates through the vCenter Server in the Virtual Inventory tab:
1. Open up the Virtual Inventory tab:
2. Select the appropriate vCenter Server that you wish to find the VM template in:
NOTE: A VM template is denoted by the symbol:
3. Select the required VM template and right-click on it. Afterwards, go to 'Add to Machine Group' and then select the appropriate machine group for the template to go into.
4. Go back to the Machine Groups tab:
5. You can now open the Machine Group and see your VM template.
- Please make sure you meet all the requirements in the following article. Failure to do so will result in the Protect console not being able to find VMs or VM templates: Virtual Infrastructure Requirements for Protect
- For more information on how Shavlik Protect and VM template integration, please consult the following article: Virtual Machine Template Patching Requirements & Informational Document
Shavlik Protect 9.x