Publishing fails with 'Unable to find database configuration value'. Settings > Verify Setup tool displays the same error:
This problem occurs in the following scenario:
- The WSUS content folder is hosted on a Uniform Naming Convention (UNC) file share.
- WSUS uses a remote WSUS database (SUSDB).
- A WSUS remoting API, such as Remote Server Administration Tool or Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM), is used on a different server to publish the custom updates.
When the WSUS server is configured to host update content on a UNC file share, the API retrieves the path to the share from the database. However, instead of calling remote WebService to query SUSDB information from remote WSUS, the API tries to connect locally to a database. Because WSUS is not installed locally, the API cannot find a database, and the publication of custom updates fails.
Microsoft released a hotfix to correct the issue: Unable to find database configuration value
You can try the manual fix if installing the hotfix fails to correct the issue:
- If you use only one WSUS content folder, make this folder a local folder instead of using a UNC path.
- Run Local Publishing on the WSUS server.
- Copy the “SQL registry keys” WSUS setup to the following registry key on the Local Publishing computer
Shavlik Patch 2.x