The purpose of this document outlines the process to install Internet Explorer. The steps in this document can also be used as a guide to install other supported products.
- You will be using the Software Distribution feature in Protect to accomplish this.
- This document will use Internet Explorer 11 for the example.
Create a new Patch Group that contains the installer for Internet Explorer 11:
- Go to View > Patches and change the Smart Filter to All patches.
- Un-check Critical and Important under Security Patches on the left pane.
- Search for the Internet Explorer installer in the search field, input MSIE-011.
- All QNumbers that end with an 'N' denote a Software Distribution patch, in this case the installer for Internet Explorer is Q2841134N
- Right click on Q2841134N and choose Add to a Patch Group > New Patch Group...
6. Name and Save the new Patch Group. (give it a meaningful name)
Create a new Scan Template and plug in the new Patch Group:
In Protect 9.0 and 9.1 you needed to go to the Software Distribution tab and check the box “Software Distribution”. You do not need to check-mark "Software Distribution" in Protect 9.2 or higher if you are including the Software Distribution patch item in a Patch Group. More on this here: Important 9.2 Upgrade Information: Review Your Patch Scan Templates And Patch Groups
- Go to New > Patch Scan Template and give the template a name.
- Choose Baseline under Baseline or Exceptions and check-mark your new Patch Group. No other settings are needed in this template.
Perform a Patch Scan against the clients to determine if they need Internet Explorer 11 installed:
- Choose the method you wish to scan you clients, the important step is to ensure you choose your new Scan Template.
2. The scan results will show a Patch Missing for machine that do not have Internet Explorer 11 installed.
3. Right-click on the missing patch and choose Deploy > Selected Patches... install Internet Explorer 11 on the clients that do not have it installed.
Prerequisite updates for Internet Explorer 11
*Note* Under Optional Updates of the Microsoft Prerequisite article, patch KB2882822 has been superseded by patch KB3080149.
If you have followed the above steps and you still are unable to install Internet Explorer 11, make sure that your target machine's operating system meets the requirements outlined here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/11531/internet-explorer-system-requirements .
Shavlik Protect 9.2
Ivanti Patch for Windows Server 9.3.x