The purpose of this document is to outline a resolution to a Shavlik Protect 9.2 Console service error at startup.
The Shavlik Protect 9.2 Console Service does not start and you receive the following error:
You receive the following error when you open the Shavlik Protect 9.2 Console:
When you look in the ST.ServiceHost.managed log you see the following:
ComponentManager.cs:348|Component 'Scheduler' failed to start.:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070032): The request is not supported.
The Shavlik Protect 9.2 console uses the Microsoft Task Scheduler for scheduling Scans and other Protect related jobs. (in 9.0 and 9.1, the Protect Console used the Shavlik Scheduler). In some environments, the Microsoft Task Scheduler service is manually disabled or disabled by Group Policy
Enable the Task Scheduler service:
- On the Protect Console, go to Start > Run > Services.msc.
- Right click and Start the Task Scheduler.
- Restart the Shavlik Protect Console Service and everything will start normally.
If starting the Task Scheduler service from Services.msc is not possible, you can manually make the following change: (please verify these instructions match you operating system)
- Go to Start > Run > regedit
- Navigate to this location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Schedule
- Find the DWORD called start, change its value from 4 to 2.
- Restart your computer and launch the Protect Console
If the Task Scheduler still does not start, you will need to make changes to your Group Policy.
Shavlik Protect 9.2.x