The purpose of this article is to troubleshoot how to resolve the error you receive when trying to update Shavlik Protect from an older to a newer version, but cannot due to the transaction log in the SQL database being full.
After performing both Database Maintenance and shrinking a database down, the console still cannot be upgraded after connecting to an existing database. You will see "Database installation failed" and "SQL install script error" in the Database Setup Tool.
You also see within the ST.Database Configuration log the following error:
DatabaseInstaller.cs:587|SQL install script error: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): The transaction log for database 'ShavlikScans' is full due to 'ACTIVE_TRANSACTION'.
Both the MDF (Media Descriptor File) and LDF (Log Descriptor File) files for the Shavlik Protect database is being capped by SQL settings and unable to expand to what it needs to for the upgrade. You could also be out of hard drive space.
1) Open SQL Server Management Studio and connect to your database either locally or remotely. If you do not have SQL Server Management Studio installed, please consult the following article: Download Links for Microsoft SQL Management Studio Express Editions
2) Right-click on your Protect database that you are trying to upgrade and go to Properties. In this example, the Protect database we are trying to upgrade is named "ShavlikScans"
3) Click on Files. Click on the Autogrowth/Maxsize ellipses (...) button.
4) Change the value to 30% and unlimited for the MDF ('Rows Data' File Type).
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the LDF file ('Log File Type').
6) Retry to run the Shavlik Protect installer to update the database with the Database Setup Tool.
Always make a backup of the Protect Database before performing any changes. For instructions on how to do so, please consult the following article: How To: Backup a Database