The purpose of this article is to troubleshoot when a scan failures specific to this error:
There was a problem initializing the patch scanner. To fix this problem, go to Help > Refresh Files on the main program menu" and performing the Help > Refresh Files does not resolve the issue.
1) Once the scan fails at Step 3: Resolve machines to scan and you click on View Errors in the Operations Monitor, you see the following:
2) In the Protect.Managed log, you will see the following:
PatchAssessment.cpp:62 class Licensing::CLicenseException at LicenseBuilder.cpp:284: No data in SET license file
WorkItemScanPatch.cs:310|System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): class Licensing::CLicenseException at LicenseBuilder.cpp:284: No data in SET license file
at ST.STPatchAssessmentSrv.Interop.PatchAssessmentClass.Initialize(InvokableEngineInitialize& initializationParameters)
at ST.UI.Controllers.Scans.PatchAssessmentController..ctor(Tuple`2 traceParameters, IXPathNavigable scanInstructions)
at ST.UI.Controllers.Tasks.WorkItemScanPatch.InitializeScanAndStart(CancellationToken cancellationToken, Guid controllerId)
3) Going to Help > Refresh Files does not resolve the issue.
The license key is current and corrupted, so it needs to be activated online again.
1) Go to Help > About Shavlik Protect and note if your current license keys are current or expired.
2) Go to Help > Enter/refresh license keys and delete any expired keys. Once all keys in there are current and valid, activate the licenses online.