This article provides steps to migrate an existing database for Shavlik Protect another SQL server.
Note: Before migration, ensure that Microsoft SQL Management Studio is installed on both the current database server and the destination database server. Also, ensure that no user is currently logged in to the Protect console. If you do not yet have SQL Server Management Studio, you can obtain the express editions with the links in this document: http://community.shavlik.com/docs/DOC-23132.
To migrate the database to another SQL server:
- Open SQL Management Studio on the current database server.
- Expand the Databases folder and locate your Protect database.
Note: To find the file path, in SQL Management Studio, right-click the database and click Properties. Then click on Files and scroll to the right.
3. Right-click the Protect database and click Detach, then choose drop then click ok.
4. Browse to the directory where the database files are stored on the server, databasename.mdf and databasename.ldf and then copy them.
5. Place the files on the new server in the location of your choice.
6. Open SQL Management Studio on the destination machine and log in to the database engine.
7. Right-click the Databases folder and click Attach.
8. In the Databases to attach window, click Add and point it to the databasename.mdf file you copied to the server.
You should now be able to see the MDF and LDF files in the bottom pane.
9. Link the database to the Protect installation.
To link the database to the Protect installation:
- Log in to your Protect console machine.
- Click Start > All Programs > Shavlik Protect.
- Select Database setup tool.
- Select the Use an existing database option and click Next.
- Select the server name of the new database server.
- In the Database Name dropdown, select your Protect database.
- Choose the credentials that the Protect console should use to connect to the database.
- Click Test database connection.
- If the test is successful, click Next.
- The console should now be attached to this database and Protect is ready for use.
Shavlik Protect 9.X